Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PLEASE HELP...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Feb 3, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK...
    I gotta 1978 c20 with a 468 in her... new motor... only about 5000 on her... new tranny... th400... love it...
    BUT... the starter has gone tits up... so I got a new one and now when I start it it makes a horrid grinding noise... sometimes it starts sometimes it doesnt... the last time I tried it it just spun and I could hear it barely hitting the flywheel...

So i ripped it off... threw the thing and got a nother one...
    I had someone else put this one on... it doesnt do it nearly as bad but it still makes an initial noise on impact then it turn sthe beast and fires up...

Well now it does it as bad as the last one... I put a shim in.. found the best one but it still does it...

PLEASE HELP...

It's my daily driver...

2: Where to get a heat shield... damn headers and close to the starter...?

Tks in adcv...

I know there's a simple answer to this...

2. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

3. I just replaced my starter, and inside the box was a piece of paper explaining on how to shim your starter. I didn't have to, but it sounds like you will have to on your truck. Look in a manual, or go back to the parts store and ask them about it. You will have to shim where the mounting bolts go into the block, but you shim one side if it makes noise right before it starts, and the other side if the noise is right after it starts. I don't know which is which, though.

Alcoholism isn't a problem, it's a GOAL!!!!!!!

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Shimming will bring the starter further away from the fly wheel, not what you want.

With my 454, I have to grind down the mounting surface on just about every starter I use to bring the starter closer to the fly wheel. I have come to find this is very common with after market starters.

So either try that, or go with a direct GM replacement.

Or, you could have a damaged flywheel.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

5. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

I had a starter on a 400 that would do that , sometimes it started it and sometimes not, but it always made a grindy noise, and that was a brand new starter, i talked to a friend and he gave me a starter, from a truck he was parting out, the starter that the place sold me was alot different looking than the one i had on there initially, so i threw on the used starter and it starts awsome and dont make all them gross sounds.try not using aftermarket if you can, that'd be my opinion on that sitch

Theres no replacement for displacement!
    I want a big block!