Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please Insert 52" front Spring Info Here

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Nov 19, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Please Insert 52\" front Spring Info Here

Sorry to beat this subject to deat but I've searched and looked through about 4 months of posts and still have a couple of questions. Unfortunately the search feature results aren't the best. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

** Can you do the 52" conversion WITHOUT moving the rear hanger? Call me lazy but I just don't want to punch another big hole in the frame.

** Is installation as easy as this pic looks -
    [​IMG]

** I've read where people say the street characteristics of the front 52's isn't great, true? Mine will not be a daily driver but it will see an occaisional drive to work, etc..

My ultimate goal is 8" of lift. I'm looking at going with either regular 6" springs, Hill 4WD shackles (+1") and a Zero Rate (+1" & 1.5" push forward) **OR** 52" rears (4" lift I think). Any suggestions?

Thanks for your patience and (probably repeat) answers on a worn out subject. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. heavytlc

heavytlc Registered Member

Re: Please Insert 52\" front Spring Info Here

The 52's ride good on the street. I have yet to lengthen the front driveshaft, but this truck is just a parts chaser/trash hauler. I went to the 52's to fit 40MTR's, I had 2"Alcans, 0rate at 1", and very little trimming, with 37's. You do not have to do anything, but move the hanger forward. Did mine in 2hrs. That is in a shop with a lift. I have crossover, but no highsteer, it will not fit with the 52's.

I have no idea how to post pics here, but I drove it to work, and have my cam with me.

3. nvrenuf

Welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Did the 52's move the axle 1.5 or 2" forward? I've seen both figures listed.

As for posting the pics if you want to email them to actionpics@hardcore4x4.com I'll post them or you can go to the Member's Rides section, log in the same as you would the forums and then look for the "upload" option in the top right corner of the screen. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. heavytlc

heavytlc Registered Member

The center of the front axle is 27" from the center of the rear shackle mount in the frame. I am not sure how that compares to stock. The 52's are on a ton military truck. My 1991 K5 is on 5" Alcans, with 37's, 60,14bolt. I do not have any real idea on stock measurements. I wish my K5 was setup with the 52's, but when I built it in 2000, I went highsteer. More work than it is worth, to switch now. I hate fixing things that are not broken, but that is what I always do.

5. nvrenuf

Re: More 52\" Info Needed

Are you still using an OE shackle on the rear of the spring or did you make/use something longer?

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

ok the 52's will move your axle 2" forward, you have to use a longer shackle to get the lift out of the springs, I would just make my own that are about 7.25" long out of 2" wide by 3/8" thick steel strap, it isnt that hard.
    Yes it is that easy to put them in, put l bracket in fron of body mount and bolt it up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The 52's do NOT go well on the street, I am going to try and run them with a swaybar so that will help out alot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

I havent driven mine on the street, but my truck with flipped 63's and lifted 52's, has a DISGUSTING amount of body roll on the shop floor.

Granted, this is without shocks, however without much effort at all, I can get the truck to rock 4" up and down.

Should flex like a mofo on the trail though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. nvrenuf

You're thread is what got me thinking about this (I don't remember anyone else using lift type springs). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm still undecided about doing this but right now I have a bare frame and need to buy springs so the timing could be perfect. Would you consider this a worth while mod for a (primarily) mud and trail truck (almost no rocks in my part of the country)?

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the length of the spring doesn't dictate the rate
    if you find it is too soft add a leaf
    longer is better within reason and 48" is way too short for 8" lift IMO

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Is there another way to use 52s without moving the front spring hanger?