Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

please look over my lift checklist

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dkodyssey, May 1, 2003.

1. dkodyssey

dkodyssey Registered Member

Can someone please look over my checklist to make sure I have everything needed for a 4" lift for my 87 jimmy.thank you...here it is(from ORD)

Greasable front shackles
    swaybar connect/disconnect
    swaybar bushings
    4"lift springs front(u bolts and bushings included)
    stearing arm
    heavyduty stearing linkage
    4" rear springs
    rear u bolts
    extended brakelines
    bolt in stearing box brace
    bigger tires/rims(of course)
    rancho 9000x (x4)
    rancho stearing stabalizer(dual)

did I miss anything?

THANK YOU

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Your list looks good. Just remember you may or may not have
    to have your driveshafts done. May also have to drop the t-case
    to help with vibrations.

3. dkodyssey

thank you,i wastold i would not have to have the drivshafts done but we will find out.does ord carry a transfer case drop kit?

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you dont need a kit, Just take the Cylinders that are top of the frame and put them underneath the frame.... On the crossmember that is, if that doesnt make sense, Reach your hand up inside the frame rail where the crossmember bolts are, youll see what im talking about.

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

If you look at your t-case crossmember ther are 4 bolts holding it to the frame there are spacers there unbolt them and put between frame and crossmember.

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    swaybar connect/disconnect
    swaybar bushings

[/ QUOTE ]

Save your money-take the swaybar off, throw it in the dumptster, and never look back.

7. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

looks good, im doin the same thing, but what exactly is: the steering linkage, bolt in steering box brace, and the steering arm??? obviously im not too familiar with the steering components /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks

8. dkodyssey

linkage-i dont think you need them(?) but there stronger for offroading so im going to go ahead and get themanyway
    arm-longer arm for a lift
    brace-the trucks are know to crack here,just to prevent future damage check it all out at www.offroaddesign.com

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    linkage-i dont think you need them(?) but there stronger for offroading so im going to go ahead and get themanyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the draglink (runs from the pitman arm on the steering box to the steering arm)?

10. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to extend your axle vent tubes too, if not everytime your suspension extends fully it will pull them off the axle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Might want to get a set of rear shackles, could mean the difference between finishing up in a weekend or not....

Rear springs are much easier to put in when these move....

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

have to agree with swason52 on this one... try just running without a sway bar for a week or so... if its no biggie driving without it, dont spend the extra $$$ on the disconnect kit just ditch the ASB all together. Save a little $ and weight in the process. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Another vote for no Swaybar. I run 2.5" lift without the swaybar. I had the ORD kit and it was a good product, but something I found out I didn't need, os I sold it.

From what everyone tells me if you need to run dual steering stabs then you have a problem with your steering that you should have fixed. I haven't ever needed more then just the 1 steering stab that I had done with the lift. Less money and less to smack on objects offroad.

14. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Everything looks good. However you dont need dual steering stabs, 1 will work fine. More then that is just mostly for looks. The other thing is that you may want to consider going with a 6" lift just because from my experiance everyone that goes with a 4" eventually ends up going bigger later. If you just do it in the beginning, it will save you quite a bit of money. That's just my opinion. Later
    -fLeXy K20

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the never ending debate between 4 and 6" of lift! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif There are pros and cons to each... personally, I like 4" springs with 1" ORD zero rates in the packs. Just my opinion...

j

16. Hossbaby50

Ya, that is what my setup on my next rig is. 4" with 1" zero rate for 5" total lift. I have never like even number to begin with so 4 & 6 are no good. I personally think 6" is to high (for what I run, rocks, all around with 38's and under) and 4" is about right maybe a little short.

My setup is 2.75" front and 2.5-3" rear. I am going to get a set of 4" rear springs and move my zero rates to the front for about 3.5" total lift on my truck. I am only running 35's for the moment though. Some 37's are hopefully on the way though.

17. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pizza and Beer!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Hossbaby50

Your half right. T*ts and beer.

19. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I would recommend a shackle flip for the rear instead of 4" springs.

Trey

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

One thing you forgot to mention is what you plan to do with the truck. If you plan to tow with it keep the sway bar and go with rear springs. I am in the process of building my wifes 90 now. It has a 3" Tuff Country EZ Ride and 35's. The 3" K5 kit consists of front 3" springs and 4" rear springs but it still sits just a tad ass low but that could be because there is a few hundred pounds of tools in the back. It is being build as a multi purpose vehicle and will do wheeling, daily driver duties, and be a tow vehicle. It will stay on 35's for street use but eventually it will get 37's or 38's for wheeling with no more lift. Like I said though it depends on what you plan to do with it. Think about it before you purchace anything and it will save you more money in the long run.