Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please offer me your opinion/advice!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, May 29, 2000.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I know it's been discussed before but I still can't make up my mind on what size tires to run. In my opinion, 35's just don't look proportionally big enough on a full-sized Chevy. I think somewhere between 36" and 38" looks about right. Two problems exist though. First off, the only tires in this size range are either heavy mud tread design (read: low tread life) or VERY EXPENSIVE all terrain patterns (like the Hummer Goodyear A/T).
    Second problem is that you can only get 38" Radial tires in the 15" or 16.5" rim size which means when running 8-lug 1-ton axles, I have to use the saftey-beadless 16.5" rims.

Now I know there are those that say a 38 is too big for a daily driver but there are one hell of a lot of people running this size on daily drivers. What got me going on this size again was an older style F-150 went by last night wearing 38" Gumbo Mudders and it just looked right, not too big or too small!

Please tell me whether you think 38's are overkill or not, what kind of treadlife to expect, and/or any experiences you have had or know of.

Sorry to ramble and look forward to reading your responses

Brian

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I think 38's are great that is what I plan on running. TSL makes a 38" radial that should be durable. I noticed alot of these companies that sell rim and tire combo's are offering beadlocks already installed..this would make up for the design of the 16.5' rim. Good luck
    Brent

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

If you decided to go with 1-ton axles, go for it. If you keep the 10 bolts, you ARE going to break stuff...even if you only drive it on pavement. If I was going to do 38's, I'd go for a 6 inch lift, and cut the fenders. No 8 inches, and especially no body lift.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Why do you not reccomend a body lift.. I have heard good and bad things about them. I am just curious what kind of experiance you have had with them. I have a 3" kit setting in my garage that I have not installed yet. So any advice is helpfull
    Brent

5. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I've heard some bad stories about body lifts. My stepdad was telling me a story about someone that got into an accident with a truck that had a body lift and the spacers cracked and the body came off the frame. I'd rather go with a suspension lift, that way the frame isn't hangin out underneath.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I agree with 73 K5, unless you have switched axles, I would stay with 35's or 33's. 10 bolts won't last long with 38's. Would also stay away from body lifts and go with suspension lift, you will be a lot happier.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The larger body mounts get put under a lot more stress than the stockers and can break or wear out in 3-5 years.

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Just finished my 3" bodylift. I am glad to have done it. 4 of the 10 bolts where rusted so bad I'm sure I could have snapped them in two with my hands.
    I also had to make two new plates that suport the rear rubberbushing's. I accedently dropped them on the driveway and they splintered!!
    I feel comfy that everything is alright with the inserts. I have done some testing and they havent moved an inch. In a crash I would have been worse of with what was there before.
    I am also doing a report with pictures on how to install a bodylift and how to raise the bumpers afterwards. If Steve would like, he can put it upp for future questions on the subject. I belive they are a lot of work to do, but you get to know your truck in alot of new ways and angles..

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

On the tire q's my experience says that 33" 12,5 on 10" rims is the largest I'l go. My 6,2 lost alot of it's "crunch" with only the 32" so I think anything larger just wouldn't be fun to drive with.
    My opinion...

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>