Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please remove thanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by senatorwoodhouse, May 25, 2005.

1. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

So I knew my 78 K5 had a rusty floor (and I'm a dumba$$), but yesterday when I went to start cutting out and replacing, I noticed that my body mounts and supports were also completely trashed! :mad: The body is basically supported by the front and rear body mounts and the doors. I have ordered the frame supports from JC Whitney but there is a long piece connecting the two that is unavailable. Please if anyone has encountered this problem or knows of a solution (besides junking the body) help me. I will post pics later to show the extent of the damage. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

LMC has the part you are looking for... Lemme look in my catalogue, and I'll post the part numbers for you....

Meh, I'm useless... can't find it... someone else?

3. senatorwoodhouse

I just had LMC fax me over their sheet, I am not sure if it has what I need. It is a long piece connecting the two cab mounts. The only thing that looks like what it could be is the inner rocker pannel, but I do not think that the rocker provides the support that this piece provides. The rotted piece looks like it goes from the rear of the 'cab' to the firewall. Thanks for any input

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think I know what you're talking about.. and looking at the LMC illistration, I don't see it either. The *inner rocker panel* looks to short, if we are thinking of the same thing.. although I do think it overlaps it close to the firewall. Plus, it should have an end towards the rear of the cab that has what looks like the *tailgate post* going up to the floorboard.

So.. I'm thinking it's not listed, or I'm not looking for the right part.. :crazy: :confused:

5. senatorwoodhouse

i believe we are on the same page. tonight i hope to get some pics of it to show the severity of the issue and get a better representation of what we are dealing with

6. senatorwoodhouse

Here are a few pics of what were working with

[​IMG]

This I have circled the piece that I am searching for. This is the piece that connects the body mounts. Would it be possible to fab up something similar to that or just run some channel and build up with body spacers? I am just throwing out some ideas of how to fix my baby.

[​IMG]

Here is the same pic without my purdy drawings.

[​IMG]

Just a pic of how extensive the damage is.

[​IMG]

And the completely rotted out floor.

This is the driver side. The passenger side is just as bad or worse.

Please help!! We are supposed to have an 4wheeling excursion in 2 weekends.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Connection is refused for me when I click the pictures.
    Anyhow, I think I know what your talking about, its the pice the runs fore/aft from the body mount, bends up to go up the floorboard towards the brakes?
    We had to fab that piece on a friend of mine's cab a few years back. Couldn't find it anywhere. I think Shermans may have it now. The 898-79A?

8. senatorwoodhouse

I think that I am going to cut out the floor completely, and replace the body mounts with ones that I purchased form JC Whitney. K now here is the real question. How much support is the bracing that runs perpendicular to these body mounts. This is going to be the brace that runs inbetween http://store.shermanparts.com/cgi-bin/sherman/product_list.html?img_num=911
    part number 898-79 and 898-79B. 79a is not what I need. The part that I need is about 53" long running from the rear of the cab and runs up and angles up at the foot boards. I am thinkiing of just welding in the new braces and using some angle iron to kinda fab up a replication of this rotted piece. Will this be safe? :confused: