Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please Send Food...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Jul 10, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Well, I just got back form the shop, and next week a 14-bolt (six lug) is going into the ol' K/5. I am getting a Detroit locker ($383!!!), as well as 4.56's. The 10-bolt is staying up front, I am going to get those alloy alxes and carry them for when I break one, then it should be good enough. The whole thing is going to set me back a whopping $3,000. These guys do fantastic work, and since I can't weld I have to pay labor. So I am officially broke. I am going to be eating ramen for the next month or so, so if you have any extra food or change, send it along. I can't wait to session the truck when it is done! I hope to have pics ready soon, but I have been slacking lately....

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I'll send you some vitamins....gotta keep your strength up....not much nutritional value in ramen

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. rem7600

rem7600 1/2 ton status

I'll add, if it's ONLY going to take a month of
    eating Ramen to recoupe, you eat A LOT of Ramen!
    CONGRATULATIONS, you'll be back in the black in
    no time! :-))))

[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>REM7600 - '89 Jimmy</font color=purple>

4. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

let's face it.......groceries fit in the budget AFTER K5 parts. P.S. (Don't tell my wife)!!!!

5. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

It's a shame to hear it will cost you $3,000 to only be 3/4
    ton at best. I have a complete set of one ton running gear
    4.56 gears detroit locker in the rear, dana 60 with 4.56 gears and a pozi up front, and a brand new set of weld typhoons 12 inches wide and 8 hole to fit your axles all for
    $2,600.00 over 400 bones less than your 3/4 ton anyway just
    a thought. Contact me if it is not to late and you are interested at sgrossman@coinet.com Thanks, Brian

MUDNUT

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

if you mount it all for him, it will be cheaper.
    add someone else's labor, and the price goes way past three grand.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Exactly. While I appreciate the offer of the axles and wheels, I do not, as of yet, know how to weld. Also, I would have to get tires, as I would assume that the eight lug wheels are 16"...I am getting the locker for their cost, and I am only paying $25 an hour labor--that's down from the $45 the shop usually charges. This is the second truck of mine they will have worked on, and they also do substantial work on my buddy's '66 Bronco. I am also getting a bull-bar, lights, and some interior handles for free, as well as seat brackets so I can mount whatever seat I want--also for free. It may seem like a lot of cash, but when you factor everything in and take into account that I can't do the work myself (nor do I have any friends who can), I am getting a screaming deal. I think most shops, knowing that you have little choice but to have them work on your truck take the opportunity to dick you over. I will, of course, keep the list posted as to the results when it is done at the end of next week.