Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

please tell me my new motor isn't shot

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Apr 8, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

please tell me my new motor isn\'t shot

<font color=blue>I noticed recently that i was using a lot of coolant. Today after I added more, i ran the motor for a little so i could re-check it to see if it was being burned, and the oil was full of coolant! What would cause this? The motor only has about a thousand miles on it becuase i just put it in last fall. Please help!!!</font color=blue>

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Re: please tell me my new motor isn\'t shot

Well, that doesnt sound good at all. Im not sure how the oil can be getting into the coolant, maybe a head gasket? I was going to say dont worry too much about your coolant level for at least a couple hundred miles, mine took a really long time to get all the air out. It seemed like I was putting 2 gals in every day for 2 months! No leaks, none in the oil, just dropping as it filled the air spaces, then all of a sudden it stopped and it has been good since. But that coolant in the oil worries me... is there oil in the rad too?

Hope you sent away the warranty card! [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

3. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I just checked it and it was all green in the radiator. I think it might be a cracked block or head, either way, i'm screwed becuase this is my daily driver</font color=blue>

4. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I would say it might be one of your heads, or head gaskets. Just hope its not the Block. How does it run? Check plugs, compression etc. Does one side sound different?

Good luck

5. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>When i heard the bubling noise, it idled a little rough and i think the driver's side sounded different.</font color=blue>

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Finish checking the compression and determine which side it is. Then you will most likely have to pull the heads, and check the gasket, the block deck, and the heads. If it is the heads, you can have them fixed or milled if they are not true. Could be a bad head gasket. Did you build the motor? did you buy the motor assembled, etc

Get a second opionion from somebody who can actually see and hear the motor.

good luck

7. TPI86

TPI86 1/2 ton status

I agree w/jmpd, with your last comment I would start with the drivers side head and inspect the spark plugs and cylinders for moisture. If you do find some, the motor will definately have to come apart.

8. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I had the motor built by a profesoinal shop http://www.buxbro.com. They are one of the best in the area and i'm give them a call monday to see what they can do about it</font color=blue>

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

One of the water jackets on the intake manifold could be leaking into the oil galley, causing the problem.

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

There are some oil passages on the block that are next to a water passage. You may not detect any leak by using a compression check. It is worth a try though. What I mean is, if the cylinder sealing portion of the head gasket is good, then you dont have any compression leak. If the gasket is torn between an oil passage and a water passage, It could swap fluids. Since your radiator is under pressure and the crank case is under less pressure (per say), it would pull water into the crank case. These guys are all right, could be a number of things. Is there any antifreeze running out of the exhaust or do you have any white smoke? I would contact the machine shop First thing and lay the burdon on their hands. It is under warranty, Right? Ask that very question. If you start to tear it down, that may Void the warranty. GOOD LUCK, hang in there...

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

11. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

The other folks have done a job on answer your question. Might look in the radiator while the engine is running to look for bubbles. This will assist in identifing the problem. Bubbles mean your getting gases in to the cooling system. The paths are numerous: blown head gasket, cracked head or a cracked cylinder wall. No gases in the radiator leads you down other paths like those in previous posts.

Anyway you look at it, its dollars and time.

12. Orange

Orange Registered Member

This same thing happened in our 89 suburban 350. I ended up being a blown head gasket.

Orange 84' Jimmy

13. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Definitely check into the warranty before you start taking things apart!

<font color=green>Yes,I have driven over a F*&d lately!</font color=green>[​IMG]

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Pull the intake, and check the gaskets carefully. It is easy to get a coolant leak between the intake and the heads, which will drain into the lifter valley and on to the oil pan as mentioned above. Use silicone around the water passages when installing the intake manifold gaskets. Also test fit the intake without the gaskets, to make sure it seats properly against the heads. Was your block decked at all?

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

15. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I called the guys who built it and they told me to check the gaskets too, so i guess my homework can wait. the bloclw as decked but they said that wouldn't be the problem and the bolts probably loosened. they said that since i never drove it like that, the bearings are probably still good. we'll find out</font color=blue>

16. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>OK i just got back from pulling the intake off the motor. It's what the engine shop said, a cracked gasket. The driver's side gasket had two cracks in the front and the rear and it was badly distorted. Don't use cheap gaskets</font color=blue>

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I know you didn't build the motor, but for those who do...make sure to use thread sealant on the head bolts and intake bolts, since they pass thru the water jackets. ARP makes good stuff. I had a friend who didn't use any when he installed new heads, and the same thing happened to him.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

18. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Simple Diagnosis Procedure/This

Glad you got to the bottom of this w/out (we hope) your warranty gett'n screwed! For those of us that may encounter rad. fluid in oil: Go to facility with an exhaust gas emissions analyzer. To check for a blown head gasket, start the motor with the rad. cap off. Prepare for fluid to come out when the thermostat opens. After that, place exhaust gas emission analyzer probe at the neck of the radiator cap opening. If there are any exhaust gases detected, it's a head gasket problem.

Happy Motoring,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>