Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please to help with diff issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, Aug 8, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I am extremely ignorant about differentials so here goes. I've been told that when you pop the cover and what you're lookin at doesn't look like a differential then you have a gov lock. Well I did that and saw that and so having that knowledge in hand how much slop goin from drive to reverse and vice versa should there be? The ring and pinion seem to move in unison but the u joint seems to move prolly an 1/8th of a turn. Is this good, bad, normal, should I be worried......

Oh yea, I can spin one tire makin turns. Should it do that?

Anywho, thanks in advance for any assistance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Allan , they do have some slop , most of it is probably the age of your truck . They will turn like open differentials on street driving as the lock up feature is automatically turned off when over a certain road speed . I don't know how much stronger in a 12 bolt they are , but I assume that big opening in the case where the "stuff" is don't really help it , but then again you really do drive your truck alot and wheel alot and it ain't broken yet .

Oh and as for the ring and pinion turning in unision and u-joint not , there is a gear ratio , remember . Isn't yours 3.73 to 1 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Call me , been awhile /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Allan change the title to 14 bolt issues and you will get lots of hits . Anyway ttt for ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif