Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pledge of allegience ruled unconstitutional

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by delta9blazer, Jun 26, 2002.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

because it says one nation under God.
    an affront to atheists and others.
    what a load of crap. freaking corporate america is allowed to push sex at my kids 24/7, and no one says anything. but recite the pledge of allegience, and you're a bad guy?
    WTF??!!??

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I was about to post this... the complete idiot that started this is from Elk Grove (Sacramento). He's an atheist and is upset that his 2nd grader was told to say the pledge at school.... his name is Michael Newdow (sp?).... I live right by this... who wants to come help go find this guy so we can pack up his things and send him to Afghanistan. He won't have to say the pledge there and his kid won't either... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'll join y'all. I hate commie pinko liberal bleeding heart tree hugging anit-American scum!!!!!!!!!

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have nothing against the pledge and think it is a good thing but i also feel that kids should have the right to say it or not and not be forced to do it i think that if they dont want to they dont have to my kids do say it at school every morning /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I share your opinion. That would have been too simple though.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. mudhog

true why do things the simple way /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

My take on this:

Why didn't the athiest parent take the kid aside and explain "we don't believe in god, although we do pledge our allegiance to the US, simply don't recite "under God" and say the rest of the pledge. End of problem.

If it said "Under Bhudda", "Under Allah", etc it would not have been challenged, or if somebody who believes in God sued about one of the other religions being mentioned it they'd be accused of being "a right wing religious extremist", intolerant and totally slammed in the media and all other bastions of liberalism...

I hate political correctness. It is going to destroy this nation. It has already done a very good job of that. Stupid people *really* annoy me. People like this idiot who brought this suit.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

And we wonder why the world is in the shape that it is... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

<font color="white">**************************************************</font color>
    <font color="white">**************************************************</font color>

<font color="red">I</font color> <font color="blue">pledge</font color> <font color="red">allegiance</font color> <font color="blue"> to </font color> <font color="red">the</font color> <font color="blue"> flag
    </font color> <font color="red">of </font color> <font color="blue">the </font color> <font color="red">United</font color> <font color="blue"> States</font color> <font color="red"> of </font color> <font color="blue">America.</font color>

<font color="red">And</font color> <font color="blue"> to </font color> <font color="red">the</font color> <font color="blue"> Republic </font color> <font color="red">for</font color> <font color="blue"> which </font color> <font color="red">it </font color> <font color="blue">stands</font color> <font color="red">
    One</font color> <font color="blue"> Nation, </font color> <font color="red">Under</font color> <font color="blue"> God, </font color> <font color="red"> Indivisible,</font color>
    <font color="blue">With </font color> <font color="red">liberty</font color> <font color="blue"> and </font color> <font color="red">justice</font color><font color="blue"> for</font color> <font color="red">all.</font color>

If you can't say it, you should leave!

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Why didn't the athiest parent take the kid aside and explain "we don't believe in god, although we do pledge our allegiance to the US, simply don't recite "under God" and say the rest of the pledge. End of problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because, that would involve parenting...

One thing I find wrong about your hypothetical thing you just said. Who is that parent to tell that kid what to believe and what not to believe? (I don't really mean that, I'm just acting the new aged 'american' part *rolls eyes*)

I really don't see why someone couldn't say, "just don't recite those words if you don't like them" but again, that would be too easy.

I'm Christian and I don't have a problem with "under God". But, if we're really suposed to have a seperation between church and state, then those words can't be in the pledge. I think they should go back to the pre '54 pledge so that kids can still pledge their allegance to the US instead of doing a quick fix and them not saying a pledge at all.

11. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I'd go for that too, just going back to how it was before "under God" had been placed in there... How far are they going to take this? Quick, look at your money, what's it say? In God We Trust... Hmmmm...

Yeah let's hold this ass accountable for actually parenting... I hate people who just want to pass laws to raise their kids, etc, etc... Do it yourself or "DON'T HAVE ANY"...

The reason we have all these punk idiots out here today is because in large part to parents not doing their job and the invasion of liberalism. "No, don't yell at the kid for misbehaving, etc" WTF... Pathetic... But be secure in the knowledge that there's nowhere to go but farther down the tube...

12. mudhog

Quick, look at your money, what's it say? In God We Trust... Hmmmm...

[/ QUOTE ]
    well then he just better give all of his money to me i dont have a problem with god /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Quick! better spend it now before the court recall's it all!

14. ChevyCaGal

I can probably find him tonight if you like... I'm sure the moron is listed in the phone book. Now if I knew for sure how to spell his last name... I'd be set... how should we split up the cash? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. mudhog

hell im not gready 50/50 sounds good /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is why we're homeschooling!!

Muddin, sandman, you're right, that's what it boils down to. Lotsa parents are leaving child rearing to the teachers and TV's.

Sad thing is, you need a license to drive, license to fish, permit to hunt, but any dumb a-hole can raise a kid.

Heck if this dumb rod can get the Pledge of Allegiance declared unconstitutional because it contains the word God, then I don't want Evolution being taught! I don't want my kids to have to hear the idea!! It's unproven and has no place in schools, in my opinion is plain stupid, yet it's there! Same concept! He doesn't like God, so he got it out of the Pledge. I don't like evolution, I want it out of the schools!

17. ChevyCaGal

I'm printing up the pledge on a piece of paper and placing one in my truck and car and one in my houses front window... Forget this guy and his being offended to it. I hope everytime he leaves his driveway he sees me and I offend him!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

The guy was smart enough to have his name printed in the paper *rolls eyes*
    link for paper

....The case was brought by Michael A. Newdow, a Sacramento atheist who objected because his second-grade daughter was required to recite the pledge at the Elk Grove school district. A federal judge had dismissed his lawsuit. ....

[/ QUOTE ]

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If I remember the article correctly, it was the PAPER that said the pledge was unconstitutional, not the judges. The judes came to the same conclusion as many people here. That forcing an individual to pledge alliegance to "the God of this country" was to imply that there was an official government religion. The implications of that go WAAAAAAAAAAY back to the days of Hitler (who made the young un's denounce God), and even further back to the days of the great "Holy Crusades" when you either swore your allegience to the religon of whatever country was invading you, or you died. C'mon people, get real here. This country was founded on the right to believe and say in whatever they want. It sounds like someone fell for the newspaper trick. The judges only ruled that a PORTION of the pledge was unconstitutional, and that in order to have a true separation of church and state, they needed to go back to the origional pledge. Also, as a side point, the pledge implies that America puts God in the forefront of their lives. Let's face the truth, most of the time God is the furthest thing from anyone's mind at any given moment unless something bad happens and then they have the utter stupidity to think that God made it happen. I totally support the judicial decision, not because I am an atheist, or other fanatic, but because I believe that EVERYONE should have the ability to think, beleive, and express their opinion without feeling forced by the entire population to conform to what basically amounts to "popular opinion". If you are a TRUE American, then someone not saying the pledge shouldn't offend you. It's our RIGHT to choose not to. Where does it say in the constitution that anyone has the RIGHT to force anyone to say ANYTHING?? You are talking like the people that our fore fathers came here to get away from. If you are a TRUE American, then anyone exercising their freedoms wouldn't even make you bat an eye. It's the fact that there are those out there that THINK and FEEL differently that you do that pisses you off. Some of the posts here come off that way, and that really looks like ignorance and stupidity personified.

Oh, yeah, If anyone wants to try and get all puffed up and full of testosterone BS and ATTEMPT to ship my butt off to Afghanistan..pack a lunch buddy, 'cause you'll be in for a long day!!

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status