Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pleeeeeeeeease Help

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by 10pax, Jan 1, 2006.

1. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

Hello All,
    Now for the moment I have been witing and saving for for a very long time... Cancer treatment for my 87 Blazer. There's only one problem... I have never done this amount of body work before and I have a few questions for the experts. Money is not an issue but some of the rusted parts I can't seem to find. One in particular is the pillars in the back of the bed. I have already purchased the tailpan for the truck but it is supposed to be welded to these pillars and mine are GONE! Where can I find these peices and how's the best way to install them?
    Another problem is the rockers. I am most likely to get my replacement panels from rustrepair.com as it is convenient to get the parts from. The diagram is a little confusing though. I don't want to purchase the wrong stuff if I don't need them. Both of my rockers are in need of replacement and I plan to replace both.
    By the time it is said and done, I will have replaced both rockers, all four peices of the floor in the cab portion, and all three peices in the bed. Along with these, the rear tailpan (complete), the tailgate, cab supports, and the weather stripping for the doors and hard top. Now here's the kicker...... All needs to be done by 12 February 06. I will be on a half day schedule until 26 Jan 06 then I will be on leave until 12 February 06. The parts should be in by 10 Jan 06.
    As you can all see, I have a whole lot to do and not a lot of time to do it in. I would GREATLY APPRECIATE anything anyone could offer me for advice.

Thank you,
    James

2. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I replaced the same sheetmetal on my K5 this past summer.I bought all my parts from Mill supply out of Cleveland ,Ohio.First thing,drop the gas tank.Cut the rear cargo floor area over the tail pan out back about 6-8 inches.The body mount bolts back there can be a pain but they gotta go. We took measurements from the location of the original tailpan and posts(My posts were salvageable)My buddy and i cut what was left of the tail pan out first.We set the new one in and used the measurements to tack weld the new pan in.I didn't want to remove the whole cargo floor
    since it and the wheel wells supported the rear half of the vehicle.After we welded in the tail pan ,we then cut out the rest of the back section of the cargo area up to where the new piece would replace it.Then once we welded that rear section in ,we moved up to the section in front of the wheel wells and replaced it with the 2 new pieces.After the rear cargo area was totally replaced ,we drilled the holes for the body mounts
    from underneath and snugged up the bushings and bolts.Hope this was some help. Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  3. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

I think I may have a solution to my problem.......It's a 77 Blazer that only needs rockers and a couple cab supports. Much cheaper. The body work was going to cost me 2 grand and I can pick up the 77 for 1800 and then not worry about emmissions either. Then I can turn the 87 into an offroad only rig with a cage and roll it over.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

Just a Newbie

I am getting the hang of the search tool now. I did buy the 77 and it only cost me 1800. The motor had 350 miles on the rebuild with a Comp Cams Magnum 280H in it, new front 1/4's, new tailgate, new hood, new front windshield, new front doors, new weatherstripping for the doors and window squeegies, new carpet,new uphosltery kit for all three seats (rear already done), new 32's, and decent paint job. It came with a soft top too. It will need new rockers, and new front floor pans but the rest is almost completely rust free. It does need door panels but I'm pretty sure the ones from the 87 will fit. I'm gonna convert the power windows and door locks from the 87 to the 77. It was about 40% complete with the restoration. The 700R4 and 208 from the 87 is going in it too since the tranny only has about 3000 miles on it and has the Corvette cervo and some special bands and clutch plates in it, a 1650 stall and medium shift kit already installed. I've already got the Performer Air Gap and Performer 600cfm Carb in it. I think this is the beginning of something special.:D :D :D

6. TheColonel

TheColonel Registered Member

Hellava Deal!! Got some pics?:D

7. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

Pics

I uploaded some pics in the member photos section. All the carpet is out of the truck right now and the interior looks bare but I have all the peices in the shed. Just waiting to do the rockers before I put the carpet back in it. This picture aint in the gallery. The previous owner did a great job on the rear seat. I just don't like vinyl.

smaller pic8.JPG