Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

plexi glass sub boxes??

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DUKE, Mar 28, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Just thinking i found these subs. [​IMG]
    and to stick em in normal boxes wouldnt be cool
    I know i could make a box out of plexi, but would it hold up and sound okay? Sure it would be mostly for show, but it might as well sound decent too. what do you all think.

2. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I still cant figure out why people use their SOUND system for "show"? Oh well.. A plexiglass box 'could' be done.. But you would really have to be sure the edges are sealed up nice and good. And obviously you would have to use thick plexiglass... Maybe two layers worth just to be safe.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Duke,

Sure....why not? Plexi can certainly be strong enough....I'd use something THICK, like 3/4" or 1" if possible depending on which sides you are using it for....

I built a few boxes with "windows" into them....it can be pretty neat looking, but you have to spend a lot more time worrying about the appearance of both the outside AND inside of the box, once you decide to do it.

It takes more time.....but not much more $$$ if you're doing it yourself. I'd definitely like to see some pics of the finished product if you decide to do it.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt buy those
    they obviously spent more on the appearence than the quality...trust me

get you some ordinary 500$ subs that are made for pounding...paint a picture if u like pretty things

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have some "pretty" subs and they hit really damn hard and sound really damn good at the same time. It also happens to be the same brand as those subs above, Audiobahn, except I have a different model.

6. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

the carpenters at the plant I used to work at would make various boxes and what-not out of plexiglass...they would go to the chem-lab and get some chemical and use a syringe to apply it to the plexiglass to glue 2 pieces together. I don't know what the chemical was, but man, you couldn't break the two pieces apart for nothing.

7. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i know a kid who built a box for 3 jl audio 12wo's, he used plexiglass on the top and front of the box, the subs fired into the back of the rear seat so the you could see the backside of the subs through the plexiglass, it was a great lookin setup and sounded great too

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Those are Audiobahns I believe, trust me they are good subs. They spend a lot on quality and looks. I have their older model and I'm scared to hook two of them up!!!

Later - Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hmm ... on a second look they might not be Audiobahns???

Audiobahns Flame Compression /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

yea those are audiobahns. audiobahn makes really good subs i'm thinkin bout gettin some for my k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I've seen some boxes built out of plexi. Im not sure of the best way
    to put them together, but im sure "welding" the plastic or whatever u call it
    is the best way. Maybe a really good epoxy or something too. I'd use 1" personally,
    but 3/4 might work. As for assembly, check with the supplier, just go to a plastic place
    and see what they say. I'm interested too now......

12. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a site on the internet that sell plexiglass box premade.

13. cjblais

cjblais Registered Member

Just my 2 cents but I saw someone selling plexiglass sub enclosures on ebay. They looked to be good quality and weren't too terribly expensive. Just go to the ebay motors ,parts car and truck, audio, and do a search. I went to their web site and they make enclosures tuned to different subs. I searched and found this web site check it out pretty cool stuff. http://www.gatelyaudio.com/

14. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I run audiobahns and i've been very happy with them i didnt get the one that your looking at but i was very happy with mine. the only problem that i have with them is that at full power they hit the grill! so i have to turn it down at that point but they take a pounding and ask for more.
    king

15. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Take a look at audiobahn's website and look for their "enclosed bandpass boxes". Those subs are built so that the cone actually faces the INSIDE of the box so you get more bass. Audiobahn is a great sub for comp. and show.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Audiobahn is a great sub for comp.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif If you're going comp, you'll want MMATS Juggernauts, TREO CSX, DD, or even some JL's.