Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plow light wiring.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2puller, Dec 9, 2005.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I need some help figuring out the wiring for the plow lights. The Jimmy that I took the plow off of just had the wires spliced into the headlights with the 3m splices. I don't want to split my factory harness insulation. Anybody have any experience with this?

For the directionals I was figuring that I would just unplug the front directionals behind the grille and make a jumper that the plow light splices into. That way when it corodes away it is just the jumper wires.

My problem is the headlights. How do you get the plow high and lows to work without the factory lights on ? I don't really want to run a 3 position toggle for high off low but I will do that befor I splice the harness.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

need switch??

My 82 K20 has a partial Fisher harness on the lights..I'm not sure exactly how its tapped into the headlights harness(I never really looked at it!--but I think they have some sort of "piggyback" plugs the OEM headlight plugs plug into??)..
    I just used a test light to determine which wire was for high and low beams that the last owner left dangling in front of the grill with its plug chopped off,and connected the wires to the appropriate post on the plow lights bulbs..

My truck does have a 3 way toggle switch for switching to the plow lights VS the stock headlights..it appears to be part of the Fisher harness(has that cotton braid on the wire harness loom)..I think you have to use a 3 way toggle,otherwise ALL the headlights and plow lights would come on at once..

Fisher has a good website you can download the wiring diagram from--that is,IF your computer is better than mine!--I have been trying to determine if my push plates off my 74 k20 would also fit 2WD trucks and one tons from 73-87.on their website--but the files are in some format my windows media player cant play or something..keep getting an "Error" message..:mad: ggrrr..:crazy:

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

thanks, I didn't know that their was a fisher harness. Mine came with only the wires off the lights down to where the owner had spliced into the headlight wiring.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Your welcome!!

I had plow lights on my 74 K20 that were just spliced into the stock headlight wires,with those "scotchlock" things (I hate those POS!)..but if I left them on a long time,say an hour,the headlight switch curcuit breaker would start cutting in and out,and I'd lose all my headlights!:eek1: ..it couldn't handle the load of having the stock headlamps AND plow lights on at the same time I guess..my altenator belt didn't like it much either,and squealed in protest..so..

I eventually ran them to a separate toggle switch,and 12V source..since I didn't drive with the blade on at night very far or often,other than to plow during storms when most other cars were not on the roads,I just rigged both the high and low beams on the plow lights to come on at the same time..and pointed them a bit on the "low" side so any oncoming drivers wouldn't be blinded..

It worked out good,no other cars ever "flashed" their high beams at me,so I assumed they were not blinded..I could see much better with the bulbs set up that way..plus if one filament burnt out,the other stayed lit!..

5. Suprzuk

Suprzuk Registered Member

The Fisher setup on my '87 had a piggyback setup on the lights.

Kevin