Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plow pump on serpentine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3rdshiftdesign, Sep 20, 2005.

1. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

Hi,

Last year I had a Meyers 7 1/2' plow setup on my truck.... don't have that anymore and I have a fisher 7 1/2' now -- the pump runs from the engine, however, it came off of a truck that wasn't a serpentine setup.

I have an 89' with the serpentine belt configuration..
    my question is now, is there an additional pulley I can get and add onto the serpentine setup somehow or ??

or do I could i remove the a/c and stick it in that place and upgrade the pulley on the pump?

I'm trying to get this setup before it gets too cold out, as last year I hooked the plow up the day of the first blizzard :confused:

options, opinions? if i wasn't clear enough, let me know, I had a few beverages.

thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try...

A Fisher plow dealer can tell you if a serpentine pulley is available to fit your pump,I imagine there MUST be one available for all the newer GM trucks that have the "snake" belts!..the older Fisher plow pumps used the exact same "guts" as a chevy power steering pump...

--I used to sell the rebuilt pumps at the parts store to a Fisher dealer all the time--this is true only on the older pumps--newer versions are welded assemblies that cant be opened up or rebuilt anymore..I bet a GM serpentine P/S pulley will fit on the older style pump's shaft--or you could swap the "guts" from a GM one right into it possibly.....

Another way out is maybe you can bolt the usual "extra" "V" belt style pulley on the harmonic balancer like they all had in the old "V" belt days..if all this fails,you can always go hydro-electric!..I had one jerry rigged plow truck that had a starter motor and a P/S pump coupled together under the hood for a lift pump--I wasn't about to shovel my 200' driveway!..I eventually cobbed a bracket and pulley to drive it off the engine in better weather--worked good all winter though.. :crazy:

I hate the thought of winter coming--I wish I were a bear,I'd hibernate till spring! :( :doah:

3. 3rdshiftdesign

I suppose I'll check out a dealer tomorrow... should've done it in the summer before everything goes up 1,000%

I believe it's an older pump and it worked great last year on the truck I took it from.

Thanks for the other input as I will check it all out tomorrow, didn't know if there was a quick fix for this or not.

If anyone else has input, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Kenworth serpentine clutch/pulley units

KA-1405 or OEM # 024-25247 for a 8 groove clutch

KA-1535 or OEM # 024-25241 for a 6 groove clutch

This might be useful info if you need a serpentine clutch/pulley setup.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the fisher setup runs off a sep add on v pully .

6. 3rdshiftdesign

well, the guy i got the truck from literally tossed the A/c pump to the side, and rigged up some crappy bracket in place of the a/c and had it run like that on a vbelt.

I have serpentine and am trying to get it to work. im not sure whether i need to switch the pulley on the pump to a serpentine setup or get some sort of piggy back pully on the alternator or something like that.