Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plow?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trouble1, Oct 28, 2002.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I found a cool house that I can afford to rent up here, but there is a problem...Id have to attatch a plow to the front of my Blazer. The house is on 35 acres and its a longgggg private road to access. Heres my question...what all would I have to do to the suspension to hold it up. I've got the stock 2 leaf suspension w/ add a leafs and a 3" body. I have the add a leafs for the height I want though. Also, when I dont have the plow on it, I would not want the front aiming at the stars. I'm lost here...any advice would be helpful...Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Air bag assist /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When you put the plow on, fill the bags up with 50 or 60 pounds of pressure, when you take it off, let the air out.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

or just put on some air shocks. Gabrial makes them

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

How will either work for wheeling???

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Seeing as how you have stock springs in the front, use air shocks. That way when you have the plow off the truck, when you relieve the pressure from the air shocks you will be at stock height and the shocks will work like normal. Will do nothing to your wheeling abillities... My friend up in June Lake has done this with his furd pickup and it works great... Get the best you can find and don't spare expense...

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

For eight years, my suburban ran with the stock two-leaf front springs and a 7 foot western plow/plow mount. I don't see why you should be concerned with your planned setup. Yes when the plow is on and up, the front end dives a bit, but the plow is usually detached (no snow) or lowered (when parked). I now have a 4" rough country lift and still have the plow on it. Any more questions for me, just ask.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My dad ran the stock springs on his plow truck for years w/ no prob. If they are worn out it might sag bad, but otherwise, no worries. As far as off-road, the plow subframe hang down below the bumper.

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Your headlights are blocked by the plow when you're driving around. The plow lights are aimed correctly with the plow lifted for road travel.

9. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Used a 7-1/2' meyers for many years now with 2-1/2" skyjacker front springs, first on the Burb and now on the Jimmy, with no problems. It doesn't dive much at all with the blade up. Made my own relatively quick install/remove lower mount for the blade and only put it on when it snows, so there's no wheeling problems (forget about wheeling with it on). Looks like there are some pretty nice newer mounting systems out there that may be wheeling friendly.