Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plowing a heated driveway???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sickquad, Nov 14, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I am the fill in guy for a local company which owns several plow trucks. Get the call to go out yearly yesterday morning. Get my driveway list and a Nextel and I'm on my way.

Pull up to a driveway and it's just a little slush. Thought it was already plowed, call over on the nextel to find out.

It's a F'n heated driveway and these monkeys pay to have it plowed. I couldn't believe it. I just pushed the water and little bit of slush out of the way.

Imagine what it must cost to heat your driveway? It was a good 200 feet and the last 50 feet was double wide.

There is seriously something wrong with people around here.

-Chris

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

John Kerry's house?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like the idea of a heated driveway, but bet the cost would be high. Makes no sence too plow one though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It makes no sense to plow one, but the cost isn't really that high (it might be for the 200 foot driveway). I was looking into them about a year ago.
    There are hot water systems thta are really efficient and can run off your existing home heating system, electric systems, etc. I've read in sales brochure's that the electric systems are extremely cheap to operate, like under $1 a day, but are an arm and a leg to install. At less than $1 a day, using it 20 times a year is pretty worthwhile to me.
    I haven't had my driveway re-poured yet, so I may yet do an electric system if it's not too hard or expensive to do-it-yourself.
    Although, we've had enogh snow in the last couple years that the K5 was actually stuck in the driveway once and I had to work from home (boo hoo).

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

mine will be heated when I build a house, (2parts, heated garage floor and 2nd part will be the driveway). For HAVING to work outside in the fall turn it on a couple hours previous to working. Or in the winter have a timer to turn it on at 5am, melt off the under snow/ice then plow it away in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have heard of heated shop floors and whatnot using a waste oil heater. That seems like the way to go (assuming you dont like in Kalifornia - cant use a waste oil heater there) since they put out very little emissions and the "fuel" is pretty much "free" since you, me and all our friends have vehicles that need to dispose of it every oil change.

I am thinking a heated shop, floor and driveway might be a trick little add-on when i get to build my shop.

but only AFTER I find the $$ to buy a lift to go in it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

20 more months and i can start building my NEW garage on the property next door. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif heated floor and a 10 foot high door. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got one question.................YOUR ALREADY PLOWING?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Heated driveways and sidewalks have been around for years. They only need to operate when there's ice on them, so the cost of operation is actually pretty reasonable. You can even get automated sensors that will turn them on only when required. If the temp is below freezing and a heated sensor also senses moisture (from melting snow/ice), then the system will turn on. When the moisture is gone, it turns off. I would love to have heated concrete around my place! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

The sun heats my driveway. It's about 78 degrees outside right now... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got one question.................YOUR ALREADY PLOWING?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, got four inches, we always get some little early storm. Some parts of RI got 8 inches.

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Mine is solar heated /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif