Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plowing suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kustom71, Dec 8, 2003.

1. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Anyone plow with thier k10 full size?If so what if any mods to suspension or front end have you done?Not really looking for a lift kit but i would guess you would something more Heavyduty.Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I don't plow but I know air bags would help out greatly on the front, just air them up when you have the plow on, when its off just let some air out so it won't be too stiff. It would be a pretty easy solution. Around $60 a bag, some air line and some brackets for $50 and just use schrader valves (valve stems).

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I plow with my 'burb. Before I put my lift on, it had the stock, 2-leaf spring pack, nothing else. Now I've got 4" lift springs that are pretty stiff, so I didn't feel the need to do any mods to make it ready to plow. One thing is, you can definitely see the frontend (even with the stiff front springs) go down an inch or two with the plow up. So, keep that in mind for tire size selection, but I don't see the need for further beefing. If you do lots of driving on the road with your plow up, first of all, your tranny (if it's an auto) will hate you, and secondly, you might want to think of double shocks up front to reduce the bouncing you'll experience when you hit bumps.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

And for God's sakes, lower your plow when you park!!!!

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

YES! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Good point. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

This sounds pretty grotey, but i use those coil over load helping shocks in the front of mine, does a fine job and doesnt hurt the ride to bad in the summer.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    YES! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Good point. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There really are few things that piss me off more than seeing a truck parked with the plow up.

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

dad plowed with a scottsdale k10 for 5 years stock suspension, no problems whatsoever...pushed 3 feet of snow up hill no worries /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

ALso don't forget when driving a distance with your plow up that it blocks most if not all air blowing in through the grill. Our '79 ford had some terrible overheating probs on the highway with the plow attached. It has the stock suspension but we had to beef up the cooling system.

I also learned my lesson when parking on soft ground lower the plow onto a pair of 2x4 blocks. I parked one time in the yard after a thaw and when we needed the plow again the blade had sunk and frozen to the ground /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could always get the stock 3 leaf springs. got that on the k5 and it rides like a sombitch /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. my plow truck has just the 2 leaf spring and it is a little bouncy up front but not bad enough