Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plowing/Towing Winter Tire Choices

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Effyoo, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Effyoo

Effyoo Registered Member

Doing some medium duty plowing in NE Ohio. Will also be using as daily driver and medium duty tow rig throughout winter. I have a choice of a few tires I can get extra-reasonably. Going to use 31x10.5. I think I have it narrowed down to these choices:

Any Yokohama (but looking at I/T and A/T+II)
    Any BFG (but looking at A/T)
    Any Mickey (but not Claws because I have them on my Yota and I know better!)

I realize that by the time you plow the snow, the tire doesn't see much snow (unless you backdrag a lot), but I want something that can handle a few inches of fluff when towing the snowmobile trailer.

Anyone?

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...Those who can count, and those who can't"

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The BFG A/Ts should work nicely. The 10.50s work real good in the snow they seem to be just the right width. My Wrangler A/Ts work great on the snow and ice.When it snows I'm usually out before the snow plows( because I drive one)
    A/Ts are all I run in the winter. They get me around just fine even when the snow is deep and wet.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I plow with my 87 Jimmy and I have 31" 10.5" 15's BFG AT KO's on my truck. I love them, they hook up really nicely give me plenty of traction, I don't even have a locker or anyrthing in my rear so the tires really do hook up. Buy them and you will like them. I drive in the snow also, it isn't just a plow truck so the onroad characteristics are good too in the snow, they also get very good wear on dry pavement also.
    ben 87 Jimmy

4. Alaskan85K5

Alaskan85K5 Registered Member

Take it from a guy in Anchorage, Alaska the BFG's 31x10.50R15's are great tires in snow and ice. We've got 4 to 6" on the ground right now in fact. Good tire work great lots of traction on my 85.

Check out my K5 &lt;a href="http://www.jeremias.net/photoalbum/?path=The%20Family%2FJasons%20K5%20Blazer"&gt; Here! &lt;/a&gt;