Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

plowing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Aug 31, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

how many of you guys plow with your rigs? im looking at an 85 3/4 ton pickup, 350/sm465/205, i think its got a 14bff, and a 10b front, its got i think an 8ft plow on it. but i was wondering if its wise to plow (driveways, and a parking lot that my buddy does)with, just to get a little more cash?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Why not? If you're willing to go plow, then it sounds like a decent rig to do it with.... Hell, I have seen people plow with just about anything!! Jeeps, S-10's, etc....

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind when plowing the heavier your rig is the better. I've seen jeeps and scouts with a plow and while they are ok for the light fluffy stuff heavy wet snow or snow with a crust of sleet on it will bring em to a dead stop. My plow truck weigns in at around 6,500lbs loaded for plowing not counting the weight of snow in the bed. With an 8' plow I have pushed snow over 18" deep. Also keep in mind the plow mount can get in the way when off roading if it is non removable.

4. 86chevybanshee

how would 6 inch tci springs hold up to the weight of the plow tho?

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sounds like a good set-up to me... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The 8' Blades can save some time..
    but make it a little tough for small driveways..

I have a 77' shortbed with a 7 1/2' western plow..
    It does just fine...so the 3/4 should do better.

6. 86chevybanshee

im not buying this truck as a plow truck, this is gona be my dd/trail truck, a couple of my buddies sed it would be a bad idea to plow with it because of extra stress on the frame and othe parts, but i dont see how plowing a few driveways and a parking lot will f stuff up, as long as i dont go crazy with it

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Check and see how rusty it is. After I reaplaced my floors I relized how thin the frame actually was (I put a screw driver through the frame rail by twisting it a few times) and I dont think it would hold up long for a trail rig. Luckly I got anothter frame cheap and building it up to drop the body on now. If it was a plow rig for long I'd stay its not going to be a strong rig to go twist up on some rocks. IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

just something to think about, if it is indeed a 3/4 ton, it should have the NP208 transfer case, the NP205 only came in the K30 (that year). /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

EDIT: it should also have a hydro clutch, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Yep got a 7 1/2' Fisher on mine, with a custom drop bracket that bolts to the A frame on the blade to compensate for the suspension lift. I used to do driveways, but not so much anymore. I'm actually planning on ditching the plow and getting a winch+winch bumper. If this rig is gonna see some trails that are more on the interesting side of things, plow frames are not your friend. The one on my truck is preventing me from making some mods I want to (52's, crossover steering)so it's gotta go. I presently have 4" rough country springs, and they handle the weight of the plow very well. Unfortunatley, that's all they are good at. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I dont think that 6 inch springs would take to kindly to the weight at all, nor the plow take to kindly to being pointed straight at the ground all the time. The truck is a decent truck to plow with, thats what nearly everyone around here uses, i find stock height with a set of decent 235/85/16 tires is a good combo.

11. 86chevybanshee

ok i dont think u guys are getting what i am asking, i dont want the truck for plowing, its just a truck with what i want and a good price, the plow is just a plus, i was wondering if it would be ok to plow my driveway with, and also my friend plows a parking lot for a good amount of money and sed i can help him out if i wanted too, i dont want the truck for just plowing with.

also the truck does have a 208, but i have a 205 for it

12. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok i dont think u guys are getting what i am asking

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Take it easy and stay off the clutch, shouldn't mess anything up. Getting closer? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

the setup you want to use will work. I use to use my K30 with its dana 60 front and 14bff rear with no problems but one... the engine crossmember became cracked from the force exerted by the plow on the frame rails. Considering what a pain in arse it is to change out one of those when it does crack I would only sudjest plowing with your truck if you absolutley need too. I lived in colorado high country and it was a necessary evil to push a plow throughout the winter but I truely wish I had had another option.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I use both of my K20's to plow my yard and a few customers,but nothing huge like a wal-mart lot.I would reccomend not using a "pretty"truck or a rust free one for plowing--it will be rotted beyond recognition around here in a few years after driving it in the salt,unless you wash it daily,and it will stll rust,only a little slower.Plan on eating a clutch after 1 or two seasons too.I prefer an automatic for plowing,but the SM465 is good for the job too,its easier to control the automatic,and your left leg wont get a workout from clutching all the time.As long as you dont "batter ram"hardened snowbanks,or hit any curbs at speed,the frame should hold up fine--the rest of the running gear is strong enough for your plowing,just remember less is more when it comes to plowing--dont use the four barrel,and remember its a truck,not a bulldozer and you'll be fine.If you are careful,it might even make you a few bucks,if not it will cost you a lot of money in very short order.My 74 K20 has plowed my yard and customers for 15 years--finally lost reverse a few weeks ago(TH350)and its rotted to death,so its time to part it out and look for another one!. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif