Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pls help- Steering wheel install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JST12, Jul 31, 2001.

1. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

I posted this on the first gen forum also, but since I think the steering hub is the same on the early 70s K5s, I thought I'd ask here too.
    I took the old steering wheel off about a year ago, and I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any parts. I am trying to install my new wheel with installation kit and I'm baffled. As far as the theory of operation, I'm guessing the 12V spring loaded pin which is protruding outward from the turn signal cam unit must be gounded to the steering shaft by way of the horn button to sound the horn. My problem is that the install kit has a splined adapter which looks like it would immediately ground the pin to the shaft since it is not insulated from the shaft. But the weird part is that the original wheel has a one piece splined hub which would also ground the 12V pin. Am I missing something? Is there supposed to be a plate on the back of the wheel which isolates the wheel from the 12 volt contact?
    Thanks,
    JT

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

What should happen is that the pin comes through a hole in the adapter/hub, and the horn contact will be a large convex washer gizmo, that rides on either plastic or fiber insulating spacers, only contacting the pin when the horn button is depressed.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Thanks...That is what I have on the front of the wheel. The convex "snappy" plate and the insulated cup which is pressed by the horn button. The pin I see is in the steering column hub and cannot rotate thus it can't go through the adapter. I don't have anything which connects this pin with the button assy hot piece. Still thinking there must be a plate needed on the back of the wheel which spins with the wheel and rubs on the stationary pin. See ya. JT