Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plug Holes

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by caleb22, May 25, 2005.

1. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I don't care for the tire carrier on the back of my 89 K5. If I take it off I'm going to have some dime sized holes in my tailgate and right rear qpanel. What's the best way to cover the holes?

I'll be sanding and priming the entire Blazer at some point, but not sure of the best way to plug the holes...lot of bondo?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Weld in a washer, zap the center hole... or if you're good amd they're small, just weld the hole shut ... then sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand... ad inifinitum.

-- A

3. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I had a welder look at the holes and he said he could do it but I would need to take the body off or drop the gas tank out since the tire carrier holes are near the gas inlet. He's afraid to start welding and have a fire on his hands. I can understand that.

Any other thoughts on how I could plug these without a welder?

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used plastic plugs from Lowes "specialty bin" on my police car. they worked well for 18 mos and cost $1. A little silicone and I was done. Not a forever solution, but it works well until you get around to the body work.

5. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

I recently had to deal with a similar situation. I have a CUCV I got from the military that had holes on both quarters. Now welding it up using the washer method works greats and is fairly straight forward. The one problem I had to keep in mind up here in Upstate New York was RUST. And when ever you weld you have some kind of corrosion even when you use weld through primer. I work in the collision industry and we use alot of panel bonding adhesives to replace panels with. By using panel bonding adhesive you take away any heat issues and there is not corrosion to deal with. What I deceided to do was tap down the holes a little first and grind around the outside area of it about 1/4 inch. Then I cut out small metal patches from sheet metal slighty larger than the holes. The I used a panel bonding adhesive by "Fusor" (doesn't have to be same brand), and I put a good amount on the patch and put it over each hole and held it in place with a clamp. They dry pretty quick but I let mine sit over night. Next day I sanded down the patch with some 80 grit sand paper so as to give the body filler something to stick better to. (I used Allmetal but any good filler will work). The just basicly apply body filler, sand, prep, and paint. I would suggest coating the back side of the hole w/ a rust preventive spray like Rust Free. Hope this helps.