Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plug on the back of slip yoke...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, May 13, 2003.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The plug on the back of my slip yoke is leaking. Can I seal this up myself with some JB Weld, or should I just take it to the driveshaft shop?

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Mine was doing the same thing. There was a big blob of rtv on the outside of the yoke. I took it to the driveshaft shop and they said they couldn't replace that plug, so I ended buying a new slip yoke. Somethimes you can get them to reseal other times you can't. Mine was throwing fluid all over the underside of my body so I just replaced it.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A little trick that maybe most people wouldn't think of is to install a concave freeze plug there. It can be done, I have done it several times for customers.

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

that is a really good ideaa, what size freeze plug did you use.? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't recall what size it was. I just measure the yoke when I need to do one and then choose the correct size.

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice guys! Local driveshaft shop welded all around the plug, changed U-joints, and re-balanced and painted it for $83! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif