Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plug Wars: Platium vs. AC Delco

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Oct 13, 2001.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Which would be better for a mostly stock 350(just dual exhaust and K&N)?? I've been using the cheapos(AC Delco, NGK etc) and my buds keep telling me that I should get some platiums and see a performance increase. What do y'all think, are they worth it?

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. jerseymudder

jerseymudder Registered Member

I love platinum plugs in fuel injected late model motors. I tried them in my 305 and they just didn't work as well as the cheapies.
    Just my expeariance.

3. Shralper

Shralper Registered Member

Go for the Bosch platinum's. Cost to benefit ratio pretty damn good. something like $2/plug vs. crazy $ for splitfires, etc. Whatever. If you wanna try something take you AC's and sidegap them, old drag racers trick. Opens more spark to cyl.. Or you could always go thru the trouble of indexing the plugs in their respective cylinders.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Tell me more about side gapping and indexing plugs please, I am curious about that.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

5. spencerjw

spencerjw Registered Member

Ok, so I have an 86 with a 305 in it. What should I get for it? I knew it needs new ones, so I figure I might as well get good ones isntead of having to replace them later on.

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

6. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

if it is FI then go platnum if its carb. go AC Delco ive tried both in my JImmy CARB. and did not notice a differance so save yourself the money and go AC they are good plugs been running them 8 years now and love um. Never try Champions they majorly suck. if you have fuel injection i recomond the Platinum you notice a diff. for me it really didnt matter cuz of my MSD and the plug is just a plug after that thing kicks in.

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think indexing plugs means to have the electrode in the same position as the other 7, not rotated at all. I'm not sure how that would be acomplished.

Never heard of side gapping.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would say keep with the cheapies and change them more often. A plat plug won't do much if you happen to have the engine flood or are burning oil. Also if you really want a performance boost... just get some good Taylor or MSD plug wires w/ a fresh cap and rotor along w/ an MSD coil. Then gap the plugs at .060 and you will see a small boost in performance. There is a reason hi-po ingnition companies say you don't need plat plugs. Plat plugs are mostly for longevity. I'd say 95% of any performance boost you feel when changing them is just cause it is a new plug. Now if you want to spend big money on plugs to get a small performance gain go for the new Denso iridium(sp?) plugs. Not really worth it IMO.

BTW... I don't care at all for those Bosch plugs... talk about junk. Seen far too many in the shop that are fried way before 30k.Plus I really don't care to have product on my truck that comes on a stock VW [​IMG]. I personally like the Denso, AC Delco's, and NGK's (I use NGK V-Power plugs in my truck w/ an MSD)

Well that's just my $.02 worth for ya

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Just run the cheap plugs I run the Platinum + 4 Bosch plugs and for the cash it's NOT worth it, suppose to last longer but other than that nothing to boast about!! I will probly return mine for the refund of 56.00 and buy the NGK's that I normally run for 16.00 and I have a performance ignition system, good luck!

10. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I only put ac's in all my chevy's

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have spent a lot of money on spark plugs thinking that I'd get some kind of increase in MPG or power. I have decided that if I can buy four plugs for the price of one expensive set, I'd rather have three new sets in the 50k miles compared to running the same crappy expensive ones for whatever the period they say is good for.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

I have tried some of the big $$ plugs with no luck.I have come back to AC Delco and they work great.I just opened up the gap a bit because of the MSD ignition.Just my opinion.

chevrules...always has and always will

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

"Indexing" the plugs is to ensure the side electrode is not shielding the spark. Ideally, the long side of the side elec. (the part connected to the plug base) is oriented 180deg. from the intake valve, so that the incoming fuel/air mix gets full exposure to the spark. This is done by making a mark on the plug body where the side elec. is, installing to the correct torque, and noting where the mark for the elec. is. Then, using tapered washers of different thicknesses (I know Jacobs Ignition sells them; don't know who else) and the trial-and-error method, you find the correct thickness of washer to orient the side elec. correctly. This has to be done individually to each plug, and must be redone when plugs are changed.
    I seem to recall reading a while back that plug indexing can get you about 1 MPG and maybe a few horses, or maybe nothing noticeable. You have to decide if the possible benefit of all that work is worth it.

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"

14. Shralper

Shralper Registered Member

What is with some people and bosch plugs? So what if they come on a VW the also come on MB and Porsche, etc. Now that being said, I wrote platinum not platinum+4, there is a $3/plug difference. I like the inexpensive ones. AC or bosch seem about the same quality and $. I've got one set of each in each of my 'burbans. Jarhead got the indexing right. You can mark the plug, inline w/ side electrode w/ a marker, to see it's relation to combustion chamber. There are a few co. that sell the washers, or just buy a bunch of plugs and start swapping them around to get them to line up, w/ side electrode near top of comb. chamber, most spark open to chamber. Sidegapping is when you trim the "L" part of the electrode to be just "l" and gap between the side of center electrode and the now vertical side electrode. You can trim w/ a good set of clippers or grinder, whichever you prefer. I like clippers cuz you get a nice sharp edge on electrode and no burrs. The spark will always jump between the sharpest/highest points on electrodes. This is why old plugs get rounded electrodes and need to be replaced. Thats the only reason, other than additives/crap building up on electrode, to change plugs. Sidegapping opens up more spark to combustion chamber. Try it w/ some good inexpensive plugs, just make sure gap is the same as you normally gap, me:.045-.050in. Just bend the side electrode like you would for reg. gap. Try it you might like it, if not you're only out $16 and an extra 10 min.

15. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

go with the AC, i recently changed my plugs for some platniums. they ran good for about a week and i began to notice a performance drop. i put my old ACs in and they are working better than the plats. i've also tried motorcraft and ngks, and chimpions, don't waste your money, go ACs.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

16. jbissette

jbissette 1/2 ton status

I have read a few articles on side gapped spark plugs. Have you ran them before? What kind of power or mileage increase did you get?

88 Chevy K1500, 350 TBI, TH700R4, 3" body lift, 33x12.50x15 Tires

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree with you Mikey.... I have been wanting to use NGK's in my Blazer,but the parts stores dont cary them in stock around here..... I do use them in my car however.
    Bosch plats are a waste of $$!
    I say run either NGK or AC's.... All the "funky" plugs are just a bunch of hype.

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

You're kidding me right? Which type are you looking to use? I run the V-Power(#UR5 I think... would have to look) right now... I'm gonna switch them out to an AC Delco plug in the next week or so just to see how those fare w/ the MSD ignition. For some reson I get varying results... some of my stuff has run better w/ AC's... some w/ NGK's. If you really want to run them and can't find em let me know and I can probably get you whatever ones you need. I don't think shipping would be much and I get em for like $1.60 (V-Powers) anyways.

Yeah most of the gimmiac plugs are BS. Most of it comes down to wear. Plat's are great for a daily driver w/ FI if you don't want to work about them except every 60-100k, I'd rather just put in a new set ever fall like I do now... The only real plug that I have seen make a difference is the new Denso Iridiums(sp?) We went from brand New NGK's to those in a friends supped up Mitsu Eclipse GSX and they changed quite a bit. It is hard to say where the lit extra umf came from, but we did have to mess w/ quite a few setting in his Apex-i AFC. Worth the price? I dunno... probably not for a near stocker.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Were you suprized that I wanted NGK's? I run the reguler v-powers in my Probe: ZFR6F-11's .. I like the way they run and most of the guys over on the Probe site are running them with good results.. Plus, they are inexpensive... Most say run them for about 15K miles and then replace them for the best performance. I have been wanting to try them in my Blazer but haven't ordered them yet...

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

20. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I always run ac delco rapidfires or original or ngk v-power. I have had great luck with all of these plugs. As for the platinum, I think they last longer, but that is about it.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust