Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plug Wire replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OBXK5, Jun 24, 2001.

1. OBXK5

OBXK5 Registered Member

OK, here's a dumb question. I figured I would make an attempt this week-end at getting rid of the pesky "check engine" light of my '89 TBI K5 w/ 172k miles. Changed the oxygen sensor, plugs, and wires for good measure. Now she runs like crap - shakes and hesitates terrible The only thing I can think of is that I put a couple of the wires on wrong. What is an easy way to make sure I got the right wires on the right plugs? Also, would it run as I descibe if I did flip two wires? Any other thoughts would be much appreciated - gotta drive it to work tomorrow! Thanks.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Did you find out what code the computer was throwing before you started replacing stuff? The code will tell you exactly what circuit the problem is located. Sounds like you got wires crossed. Do you have a Haynes manual? There are diagrams showing where each plu wire is suppose to hook up to the dist.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

3. OBXK5

OBXK5 Registered Member

Crisis averted.

I figured it out. The only info I was lacking was that the distributor fired in a clockwise fashion. Knowing this and the firing order I figured out I had 5, and 7 flipped.

As for checking the codes first, yeah I should have done that but, since all the items I replaced were due anyway, I thought I would give that a try and then check the codes.

Thanks!