Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plug Wires Stupid Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntx78k5, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Afternoon all, have a 78K5 with a standard 2 bolt main 350 with an aftermarket intake. I bought this last year and I have burned 2 sets of wires from the exhaust manifold. The motor isnt a 78 so I am unsure what it came out of. Both sets of wires had 90's on the spark plug end and that is where the burns are coming from. Does anyone know other than making a custom set what straight boot options are available pre made. All parts and performance stores are baffled. :confused:

Thanks,
    Paul.
    TX

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Call up the people at Summit Racing!! They'll be able to steer you in the right direction..

www.summitracing.com

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oldsmobile engines used straight boot plug wires. 1985 Cutlass Supreme with 307 should net you straight boot wires.

Of course, those engines are wider, you may end up with some slack in the wires.

I made plug wires for my truck from Accel (not many people like Accel stuff, no complaints on these from me) and am pretty happy the way they turned out. If you can get a kit that comes with straight boots from someone, I'd probably go that way before trying the Oldsmobile wires which might be too long.

I know on plug wires most places won't let you return them if they are dirty, pretty hard to install all of them and not make a mark or two on them.

4. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Already did, they told me to get some universals and start assembling. Really not the way I want to go if I can help it.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

use big block wires...

I've used wires off a 454 with HEI on small blocks before--they have straight boots usually,but are longer in overall length....at least the ones I used were that way... :crazy:

7. dyeager535

Nothing really wrong with the kits, I didn't use any special tools to make mine, although the special crimp tool they have (too much $$ just to make one set of plug wires!) might have been handy, I was able to make pliers work.

8. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replys, Hopefully this will give me the nudge I need. This thing is almost done. Now all I have left is bigger axle's with a better gear ratio.

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

You also might want to look into the boot-end protectors made out of heat risistant materials, I use them and the lay right on top of my headers and I have NEVER needed to replace my wires after I put these on. They are really impressive.

10. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Where do you get these. Sounds liek a great idea?

11. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

12. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

routing??

While we're on this topic. Anyone have their own "trick" way of routing wires? I'm looking for a cleaner look, i've trided the dividers, valvecover hold downs of all different types....zip ties :crazy: etc etc...share your small block secrets...I have a motor to route with stock manifolds and one with headers

13. dyeager535

3rd pic down (pics not dialup friendly)

pic with wires in place

Might not be "clean enough" for some, but that works and I'm not worried whatsoever about ever burning a plug wire. I build this truck to last, not to look pretty. (Isn't it obvious? :))

Just to save myself some typing, here's my previous quote about plug wires/boots, etc.

"You can look on Summit or Jegs and find spark plug wire insulators. I think mainly for the boot area. For the cost of those things, get creative with some plug wire holders from the wrecking yard.

Just as an example, Oldsmobile V8's from the 80's (Cadillac and Oldsobiles used the Olds 307) had spark plug wire holders that bolted to the valve cover bolts.

On my Vortec heads (unsure on older heads) there are two bolt holes on each head that match the perimeter valve cover bolts. Heck, could be same threads as the centerbolt valve cover bolts too, never checked. (they are for the factory plug wire protectors, but only work with the stock manifolds) Anyway, I got some bolts, and bent/cut the Oldsmobile plug wire holders so the wires cleared my exhaust by as much as possible.

You can see them there, (first pic link above) sticking out between the headers and head. I used the wire clamps GM used on the wiring harness so that I could clip the plug wire in place on three of the locations.

If you spend time on routing and retaining the plug wires solidly, there is no reason to need insulation. That is why GM routed their wires down the back of the block and from below up to the plugs when the manifolds were over the plugs."

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The Taylor Spyro Pro wires should work good for you. Get The type with a 45* boot. It does a good job pointing the wire up and away from the manifold/header
    I have Taylor Spyro pro wires with the 45* boot on 2 vehicles with headers. My K5 and my Mustang They stand up to heat very well. I have never burned a Taylor wire yet. Great set of wires for under 60 bucks.

The Spyro pro are better than the high energy wires linked in the eariler post
    Type this number in on Summits search box TAY-73053 That is a universal set but They should work fine for you. You should also be able to get a set of Taylors specifically for your engine with 45* boots.