Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plug wires...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jul 26, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

currently i run accell super stock 8mm wires. they lasted a whole 6 months before getting hot and cracking near the headers. im not too happy with them and will not run another set.

ive though about running the MSD wires. the local auto parts store quoted me $54 on a set, not too bad IMO.

what do you run?

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'm running the MSD 8.5 wires. I had a problem with them around the headers and put some of those cloth heat shields around the wire ends. No more problems with burnt wires.

3. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I run the cheapo wires from the parts store on all my vehicles and have had great luck. I also have headers on my blazer and it's a DD, so lots of miles on the wires. The ones in my truck now are over two years old with no cracking of the wires and no problems when wet.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

IMO Accel are probabally the worst wires made. I have never had a set last very long on any engine I have ever used them on. I wont use them anymore.
    I have been using Taylor Spiro Pro wires and have had very good luck with them. They hold up real well to high heat. I run them on my Mustang and had a set on my k5. both have headers.

I bought a set of those Split fire plug wires wires a while back for My K5. I got them brand new for $40.00 including shipping on E- bay. Figgured I couldn't go wrong for that price. To tell you the truth I was not expecting much.
    When I got then I was pleasantly surprised. They were very well made 8mm silicone wires. Put my Ohm meeter on them and they were only 250 ohms per foot as they advertised. That is very low risistance.
    It is a no brainer to say they made my truck run better beings I was replacing my old wires(Taylors) with about 50K on them. So far they are holding up real good to heat and still look brand new.

MSD wires are also good wires.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How well do you have them routed away from the header tubes?

I've got accels on mine that have been there I guess going on a year pretty soon, and I have no complaints with them thus far. Not a lot of miles on them, but they have been through plenty of hot engine cycles.

I made sure on the install that every plug wire faced as directly away from the header tube immediately next to it as possible, then routed a goodly distance from the tubes after that. From other header designs/comments on them, I have a feeling how the headers are built is a factor in this as well. Not even sure which Accels I have, they were the "build your own" kit.

Here's a pic of how mine are setup:

[​IMG]

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'll second the Taylor Spiro Pros!!!! I've run them on all my vehicles(that they make them for)..... Cheap and last a very long time!!!

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have my wires run almost exaclty like yours, far away from the headers. the one that is the worst is #6, the header tube runs very close to the plug end. its very hard to get the wire away from the tube. btw, i have flowtech headers, they aren't routed the best on the pass side, but are routed great on the driver side???

i think im gonna go with the MSD wires or the talor wires, just need to get a price from the parts store.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have MSD's on my 81, its the only way,
    as the el cheapos melt right away, junk, hell they even melted and came apart on my caprice, peel apart like a banana, lol

you get what you pay for

good luck

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

#5 is the only one I can't/won't use a socket on, so the plug ends are quite a distance from the tubes with my Hedman's, I'm sure that makes a big difference.

You can always try the shorter Accel plugs as well I guess, that should reduce the plug boot to header tube distance if the problem continues.

10. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I have the red MSD wires. Only 70 OHM's a foot!! Used em with headers, stock manifolds, on a stock 350 and my current 425-450HP 383. I also go with MSD HEI distributor, cap, and rotor, as well as MSD 6AL ignition.

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm using some Mallory's I picked up for $20 on ebay. They seem real nice and have been holding up against the headers real well. They still feel like new if you wipe the mud off.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  12. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Plug Wires

I have a set of Jacob's wires on my 79. Only a little over a year old, and never had any problems so far. Got them at the local speed shop for about 75 bucks. I run them with an MSD 6A box, and MSD HEI coil, Accel HD cap and rotor.

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i have a real big prob melting mine. i used header tape down past starter and got the champion truck ones and no pob since. they are ceramic and i run a pretty hot coil and been good so far- 4 mo and 3 time crawling it the desert now.