Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plugs 2,4,6,8 Oil deposits? 1,3,5,7 fine.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock454, Oct 11, 2003.

1. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

The entire passenger side plugs had large oil deposits and not the drivers side, anything desides engine damage cause this? This is on my V3500.

2. daimok

daimok Registered Member

head gasket ? got a compression tester ?

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I had that happen on my 350HO with votec heads (#4 & 6).
    Turned out to be the intake gasket saged in the middle and was pulling crack case fumes. Might be worth checking.
    Now that it is fixed, I haven't fouled a plug and don't burn any oil again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bigblock454

a head gasket blown on all 4 cylinders, the engine runs great and has plenty of power? Maybe, I will check, i have a compression tester. Any other ideas?

5. daimok

daimok Registered Member

well your symptom seems to be left or right side related right ? i doubt it could be four bad rings on just one side of the engine. only two head gaskets , one per side. so if oil is not entering the combustion chamber from below (rings) and the head gasket checks out ok , it can only come from the top

if its coming in from the top , i can only think of two ways , valve seals or from the intake. if your intake is a dual plane , its possible perhaps a crack is letting one side of the intake injest some oil thus contamenating one plane of the manifold and one side of the engine.

6. bigblock454

[ QUOTE ]
    I had that happen on my 350HO with votec heads (#4 & 6).
    Turned out to be the intake gasket saged in the middle and was pulling crack case fumes. Might be worth checking.
    Now that it is fixed, I haven't fouled a plug and don't burn any oil again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It holds 19" hg at idle, could it still be the intake gasket?

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Where is the vac. mod for the tranny plumbed at?
    Valve guides leak on the exhaust side.
    If the engine has been running well then suddenly started to foul plugs on one bank I would start looking at the intake area.
    The intake gasget could be leaking on the crankcase side and with the engine sealed well, still pull a decent vacuume.
    A 440 in a Ram had me by the ass with that.
    came in 3 times with the same bank fouled, comression, vaccume and all checked out.
    I found that one by removing the valve cover and spraying brake clean (nozzle with a straw) down by the push tubes.
    while the engine was running.

8. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I was a Chevrolet Master Tech for 12 years, we saw that on every 350 that came in, never found out why /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have a brand new ZZ4 botie, and my pass, rear plug has already fouled once /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif nature of the beast, but if you have all 4 over there foulin, maybe leaking valve guide seals or like some said, barely seeping rings..

9. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I agree with the other post about intake gasket leaking at the bottom, my trucks was low and two cylinders would smoke, I changed the intake and it went away. If your vacuum is only 18" at idle and you have a low mile engine with a stock cam thats kinda low, stock cams pull higher vacuum than performance cams. I cannot see where a whole bank of cylinders has gone bad at one time. Check out the intake.

10. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where is the vac. mod for the tranny plumbed at?
    Valve guides leak on the exhaust side.
    If the engine has been running well then suddenly started to foul plugs on one bank I would start looking at the intake area.
    The intake gasget could be leaking on the crankcase side and with the engine sealed well, still pull a decent vacuume.
    A 440 in a Ram had me by the ass with that.
    came in 3 times with the same bank fouled, comression, vaccume and all checked out.
    I found that one by removing the valve cover and spraying brake clean (nozzle with a straw) down by the push tubes.
    while the engine was running.

[/ QUOTE ] My 78' jimmy fouled the even bank on my 350 due to a bad vac. Modulator on the t-350.When a Vac. modulator goes REALLY BAD it sucks ATF into the intake where The vac.mod. is connected causing severe fouling on #8, and moderate fouling on #'s 2,4,and 6! Just a thought and GOOD LUCK! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. dill

dill Registered Member

I had a '77 Jimmy that did the same thing. Smoked worse than a snowmobile lol...

replaced the module, problem fixed.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

TBI? I BET it has a bad injector on the throttle body its stuck feeding too much fuel in /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Another thing I thought of there is a drain hole that drains the oil off the top of the head, if its plugged up it has nowhere to drain but down into the valves /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. bigblock454

[ QUOTE ]
    TBI? I BET it has a bad injector on the throttle body its stuck feeding too much fuel in /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an interesting idea.

15. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

A stuck injector will wash out the cylinder.. no oil
    No compression, it will run like crap.
    The plugs would be gas fouled not oil.

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You sure it's oil fouling and not fuel fouled? 454 TBI in my 88 uses a Dual plane intake. Had the TBI runs half the engine and no intermix. Other things to look at it PCV problems including Bad PCV valve and pluged ports in the base of the TBI.

17. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

intake manifold gasket. i had the same problem and chased it for a year. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. bigblock454

So far so good! I replaced the intake gasket and no problems. I will give it a week or so to make 100% sure but I think the Intake was the ticket, thanks.