Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

plugs and timing -- CA emissions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 29, 2002.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm about to change my plugs and check/adjust my timing. I noticed there are differnt plugs, plugs gaps and timing "points" for 350's w/ CA emissions vs 350's w/o CA emissions. How can I tell if I have CA emissions? Is it easier just to pull the plugs and check what the gap is closest to, CA or non-CA?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you have a '77, the easy way to find out is this:

Do you have catlytic converters?

if yes: you have a CA Smog truck and must adhear to CA smog laws

if no: you have a federal smog vehicle. you need a "stove pipe" and PCV, and you do not need cats.

i have a 49 stater, and i have to get it smogged this week. i'll let you know how it goes...

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Isn't there a big sticker right on top of the grille in the engine compartment that tells you....?

I found my correct plug gap on mine....! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

hell..i might have one, but i bet is has baked mud on it /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You truck is old enough that it doesn't need to be smogged. If you have HEI then .45. if you have points I think it's .35
    He doesn't live in CA so don't start telling me about CA Smog laws he's in GA and GA is 79 up right now. They let the smog stuff go after 25 years here. This state in not run by a bunch of tofo eating, money grubbing freaks like the Smog Nazi's in CA.

6. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think I have HEI b/c my Delco-Remy distributor has a little "box" on top of it which I believe holds the egnition coil (and it looks like the HEI pic in the Chiltons). My emission sticker when by the wayside a long time ago (didn't have it when I bought it).

So, it looks like .45 gap on the plug and 8 Before Top Dead Center for timing.

What brand plugs do you guys run/recommend?

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

ttt...
    Can someone please confirm my timing point -- 8 Before Top Dead Center, right?
    Thanks to all for the help! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That should be the factory spec. Can probably go to 10 or so without an issue.</font color>

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif