Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

plugs and wires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigtruck87, Jul 13, 2003.

1. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

Ok i am going to be doing a tune up on my truck soon. might as well while i'm in there putting on headers. anyway i was just wonder what kind of plug, wires, cap, and rotor everyone was running?

i have an 87 with a stock tbi 350 minus the headers and exhaust. simple question just wondering msd, accel, yadda yadda?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Plugs I like Delco's. They've got a good reputation. Also heard good things about NGK's, although no personal experience.

Plug wires, "lifetime" ones from the local parts chain have done me fine for about 4 years now.

You can replace the cap and rotor if you like, but *I* will never again replace one just because it's "old". They are easy to inspect, NOT prone to "failure", and if they aren't bad, why replace? You won't get any better performance from a new cap/rotor than you would from used ones in good shape IMO. Plugs are actually the same way, but its difficult to be sure they are working 100%

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i replaced my cap and rotor a while ago and wish i would have left it alone. it wasnt broke or bad, just figured part of the tune up process.i was trying to get rid of a slight vibration. ever since ive had a code 42 thats driven me crazy.42 is a short or ground in the electronic spark timing system. been to several shops and dealers, several hours of my own checking and with no answers.still it shows up every now and again. i wish i would have left it be and just did the plugs(probubly didnt need them changed either). just my .02