Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plugs for a 205 case?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JpEater, Mar 3, 2006.

1. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know what is supposed to be used to plug the small holes in a 205? I am talking about the holes that you use do drive the shift rail pins out through. My case had rubber plugs in it but they are hard now. The stealer(dealer) doesn't know.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Some of the older cases used small casting ( freeze ) plugs . Ask your dealer for an older application and see if they still offer them - I got them a few years ago from my local GM dealer. If not go to an industrial machine shop and see what they can do for you.
    Tom

3. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I didn't think that this case has ever been messed with till I got it. A couple of guys locally say that 205's didn't come with rubber plugs. Anyone know anything about that?

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yes they did . The cases built from the eighty's on up had the rubber plugs in them .
    Tom

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a bunch of the metal plugs from a couple of cases I parted out. No idea if they are reusable or what, but if its a "hard to find" kinda thing you can have mine. :thumb:

j

6. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Not sure when they changed from freeze plugs to rubber ones but the holes are bigger for the rubber plugs so the earlier metal ones are not going to work for you.Try soaking yours in some oil and I think you will be able to make them work,if not RTV is your friend!:wink1:

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Damn...... I did not realize that the hole size changed. I guess I have to re-think my plan on using the metal plugs in my case. Like you said RTV will work fine if no plug is found.
    Good info !
    Tom

8. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

If you really wanted to get creative you could tap them and use short allen heads,set screws with nylocs ,etc.:surepal:

9. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Any Idea where to get the rubber plugs now that I know that they do exist?

10. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I dont know where you can get new rubber plugs,those 205 small parts can be just about impossible to find.Anything 205 is aftermarket now unless someone has some NOS left,if yours are that bad and you dont want to use the other options then I will send you 4 used ones:cool1: