Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

plumbers, water volume issue ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Mar 25, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hey this building is situated only a half a block away from the water main under street, like 150 feet or so..

hot water in here is great volume/pressure, more than plenty,

but the cold is just horrible volume, low pressure, it practically only just runs out of the faucet almost like just only gravity is putting it out, its pretty bad,

alot of the cold line to sink is actually larger than the hot, which makes it even more interesting..

but both lines are smaller than incoming water line in basement, so..

any ideas what the heck causes this ?

is this common, or what ?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

sounds like you have a clogged or not fully opened shut off valve somewhere in the cold water line. Start tracing the cold water line back to the source and check any shut off valves you find to make sure they are fully opened. If your hot water pressure is good, then the problem will be after the cold water splits to feed the water heater.

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

normally cold water preasure is better than the hot. Check like said for a valve partly open/closed. Also if the handle on the vavle does not feel right may not be turning the stem or gate in the valve right.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

nope, only one valve in whole building other than sink shut off ones,

the one valve is the main shut off at basement wall, 3/4" pipe black plastic flex stuff from the 60s, no clue what its called, i really wish someone knew the technical name of thats stuff, i hear it was a common replacement, its hose clamped stuff, is right next to original steel line

but yeah the hot water is frickin excellent volume/flow, couldnt be any better, the cold is just plain crap, and thats with those teeny tiny gray plastic feed lines under the sink, so,.,.

i just went ahead and started at 4AM today and replaced all the lines in the basement with 3/4" PVC, water heater, washing machine, everything, i just got done doing that and am letting cement cure now,
    the original plumbing is 1/2" galvanized steel, very piss poor condition, rusting through in spots leaking, and im sure clogging up inside bad, water condition is hgorrible here tons of calcium and crud in water here, really bad, water heater fills with the crap and kills them in a couple years every time

thanks

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and do i REALLY have to let this stupid pipe cement cure for 24-48 hours like it says ??

omg..

its pvc and multi purpose cement

we just ran pvc for air compressor over at garage a couple months back and the can there said 2 hours, and hell we only let it sit like 30 minutes before we let the 110 PSI rip, twin cylinder 80 gallon stand up compressor

it did great,

same pipe!

what gives ?

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok its been 5 hours since i glued the last fitting and i couldnt wait any dang longer so i turned the water on just now and theres a freaking drip from a T fitting thats in the hot line coming out of the water heater..

should i be scared now ?

am i screwed ?

there is no way i could re-make the T and down pipe to water heater without a bunch of freaking splice sleeves,
    one in all three lines,,,, (a washer and a shower in the basement are in opposite direction away from heater than the kitchen and such, in which is basement floor also)

dammit,.,.

this is bull crap,.

what do i do ?

should i have used primer ?

thanks

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A Plumbing We Will Go....

Sounds like your pipes are clogged with deposits--we have lots of iron in our well water,had similar troubles a few years ago when it took a half hour to fill up the washing machine--I found the copper pipes nearly completely clogged,but only on the cold water pipe,the hot water one wasnt that crusty inside-:confused: had to put new pipes in,old ones were 25 years old..

My sisters house had the main pipe from the street 3 inches in diameter that had about a 1/2 inch hole in a big pile of deposits to let the water thru,she had no "volume" of water,but pressure was normal--If you tried filling a 5 gallon bucket,it would slow to a trickle after a gallon or so flowed into the bucket--she had to call the water dept.to come investigate,and they ended up replacing the pipe coming into the house from the street...

(Remember the Three Stooges?--Hey Moe!--No WONDER theese pipes wont work--There all clogged up with wires!!:haha: :haha: :surepal: )

I'm having trouble with a toilet that is supposed to flush uphill!--its in the basement and works on a siphon type setup,and the waste goes thu two car heater hoses 3/4 inch I.D.!!-( how the captain's log gets thru there I'll never know:confused: )-It works great if the water pressure is over 40psi,but the well pump often lets the pressure drop to 28 psi before it kicks on again,and runs it back up to 55psi.

Of course every time the toilet is used,it wont flush because the pressure isnt high enough-(murphy's law!)-and I have to turn on a faucet and let the water run so the pump will kick on again,once its back to 40psi or higher,it flushes fine---its a PITA!--and my mother will just let the crap sit there forever,(or keep trying to flush it with low pressure--that makes it overflow onto the floor!:mad: )

I have to put bleach in it,to kill the germs and smell-- and fool with the faucet and let it run until the pump kicks on again and builds up pressure to get it to flush!--I'm ready to rip it right out!!--the gauge to read the pressurse is busted too,the needle broke off--so nows its a guessing game as to whether there is enough pressure to flush or not:mad:

I hear there are better toilets with a "lift pump" that work much better--I'm probably going to have to look into those,since my mother isb't always able to climb the stairs every time she needs to go to the toilet--sucks to get old--I've begged her to move her room upstairs,its bad for her condition to be in the basement level of the house--but she's a stubborn old cuss--wont listen to me..:frown1: :mad: