Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plumbing EFI FUel System AN to Tube?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Mar 31, 2007.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

So this is my first "real" plumbing job. It's a high pressure fuel system for EFI.

I have 3/8" stainless hard line running the length of the frame rail.

I think I've got everything figured out, except, I'd rather not use hose and clamps (The good efi type high pressure clamps, not a worm clamp), so what's the accepted method of plumbing hard 3/8" stainless line to -6 AN braided hose? I see tube to AN adaptors but they say they are for aluminum tube? I have stainless tube, and the pressures involved here are at least 55psi.

Do I flare the tube 37degrees (AN style) and find a fitting for that? I must be missing something stupid here, because I'm sure people use hard line and are not running hose for the whole fuel system.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

try a website like goodmanhighperformance.com u can call them on the phone, they are local to me & very helpful, & knowledgable. they could tell u if the tubing to an fitting would work on the stainless tubing. if not i know the 37 degree flare to an would work.

3. 73k5blazer

That site you reference is no good. I tried to look up goodman performance with no luck. :dunno:

I was poking around Eaton (Aeroquip) and Earls plumbing, Earls says steel and alum. tubing only. Eaton says their flareless and standard flare fittings (where you flare the tube 37 degress and use a sleeve and nut) are only good for rockwell harness tubings to B65. Even low grade stainless is B80 or so, I think mine in B85. THey do have fittings, not to -AN, but to pipe, for stainless tubing, but they are industrial type fittings, hard to find in small quanitities, and extremely expensive. Thier 7000 series Ermeto line.

So, WTF, I'm missing something. I can't be the first person to use stainless fuel lines with a PFI engine. They make -AN to inverted 45 degree inverted flare fittings. the 45 degree inverted (or double) flare is the standard on brake lines (in North America). Brake lines see much higher pressures than a fuel line ever will, can I use those -AN to inverted flare fittings for fuel? I'm kinda leaning that way because I seem to have no other choice. I have a really nice flare tool for 45 degrees already, I've plumbed 2 vehicles brake systems with it.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

5. 73k5blazer

Yeeahh. See, I knew I was missing something!

Thanks a million,that's exactly what I need.

6. 73k5blazer

$12 a piece for a local supplier. Not so bad. I think I only need 2, mabey 4. We'll see. Thanks again.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

If you can't get them, I could get some from our supplier and ship it to you.