Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plumbing guys - question about PEX tubing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

So, what's the flammability of this stuff like? Is it similar to PVC, which puts out NASTY fumes and keeps burning?

I was thinking about using it as lightweight wiring conduit in the wings & fuselage of the airplane I'm gonna be building. It's lighter than the blue or gray Carlon electrical conduit, which is a major appeal for me. It's also not corrugated, which is the main reason I'm looking at it rather than the corrugated nylon split-loom-type material that other builders use. I don't want to pull multiple 18-24ga. wires through corrugated conduit... been there, done that, got the T-shirt and keychain.

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Didn't we use to have a pretty good professional plumber around here?

Wherever did he go....:rolleyes:

:haha:

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I would like it would burn the same as PVC but at a higher temp. and still emit toxic fumes. Never tryed it but I would check with whoever inspects home built planes. They do inspect them don't they? Why can't you use a thin walled CPVC tubing made for electrical applications?
    He never left.........
    Oh! you ment the other guy.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep, they're inspected for airworthiness and compliance with certain FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations) before being issued the Airworthiness Certificate. But the person who builds the aircraft is the manufacturer, therefore it's the builder's responsibility to ensure the materials used are safe.

I'm trying to avoid PVC products entirely due to the fumes in a fire. Not such a big deal in the wings, but important in the cockpit/fuselage. Of course, hopefully I'll never have to worry about the performance of ANY of the construction materials in a fire...

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
  6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just don't use the stuff John Denver used..................:eek1:

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Oh man, you really dated yourself with that one :laugh:

8. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I dunno ... I'd think in case of fire i'd be more worried about slamming in the ground below :dunno:

9. Desert Rat

Ah crap, I shoulda said JFK Jr. I guess.......... at least I didn't say Amelia Earhart...

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

What aboot EMT? It's pretty light, and relatively fireproof.

John

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, if there's a fire, priority 1 is to get on the ground intact, so anything that will slow the spread of smoke & flames is good. If a conduit material takes one minute longer than others to start cranking out the noxious fumes, that's a full minute longer I'll have to get the wheels on the ground and get the hell out. I see your point though...

Oh, BTW - for the other folks mentioned...

John Denver: Quoted from the NTSB report on his crash (italics added by me) - The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause of this accident was the pilot's diversion of attention from the operation of the airplane and his inadvertent application of right rudder that resulted in the loss of airplane control while attempting to manipulate the fuel selector handle. Also, the Board determines that the pilot's inadequate preflight planning and preparations, specifically his failure to refuel the airplane, was causal. The Board determines that the builder's decision to locate the unmarked fuel selector handle in a hard-to-access position, unmarked fuel quantity sight gauges, inadequate transition training by the pilot, and his lack of total experience in this type of airplane were factors in this accident.
    - The end result of him not paying attention to flying the airplane was impact with the water below.

JFK Jr: Quoted from the NTSB report on his crash - The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows: The pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane during a descent over water at night, which was a result of spatial disorientation. Factors in the accident were haze, and the dark night.

12. Desert Rat

Yeah, but the the joke wouldn't work with anybody unknown. Literary license you know......besides, HUA didn't fit at the time.....

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know.:D I figured I'd throw the links up there for anyone who never saw the reasons for those mishaps.