Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

plumbing question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

At my house we have a well for water because we live out of town. Somehow there is a leak from the pipe that comes up from the ground.
    The water guys said to shut off the pump (so we have no water at all in our house) until he can look at it. My question is will the pipes from the well to my house (they are underground obvisly) will they freeze or are they okay?
    Thanks...

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

As long as they are buried deep enough they will not freeze. They would freeze over night when there was no water being used if they were not already deep enough too, so you should be fine.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

but most likely they are buried deep enough right?
    As always I am worrying, and the last thing my mom and I need right now is either the well freezing, or the pipes freezing. We don't have a lot of money to use if they needed to dig them up to repair... BUT I need to stop thinking negative, and think positive. My mom filled up a tub full of water for washing our hands before we turned the power off... i also have a trouble light down there to keep the water from freezing (we usually have a lightbulb down there, but the power turns off the light too)
    ahh...

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Your pipes will be fine. What I am trying to tell you is your pump shuts off every night when you dont have the water running. If it doesn't freeze up every night it will be fine when you shut it off right now.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Make sure you turn off the water heater. Running it out of water with the heater on can burn out the heating elements.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You shouldn't have any reason to worry, Steve. Cold weather freezes pipes, not the lack of water travelling through them. Like Kenny said, for about 6-8 hours during the night you have no water movement in your pipes. If it was gonna freeze it would have done it by now.

As long as you keep your basement above freezing, the lines in the house will be okay. If you're still unconvinced go buy some heat tape and wrap the section of pipe in the coldest area of the house.

Now about this leak- where eactly is the water bubbling up? Is it by the well casing or inside the basement where your water line comes into the house? If it's by the casing then it could be a pitless adaptor that's come apart(although that rarely happens).

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I will try to explain where it is...
    We have a little miniture house looking setup... it looks like a doghouse... when you open the door there is a lid on it you have to pull up. Then it drops down about 4 feet with a ladder there. Once you get down you can see where the pipes come up. RIGHT where the pipe comes up, it has an elbow, then a straight piece, then another thing that looks like a tap...without the tap. The leak is on the threads besides the piece that looks like a tap. It looks like it's just a "pinhole" hole...but its spraying pretty good. We have a light down there like I said, and it somewhat heats the little room so it was all steamy from the water.
    ANYWAYS... the hole is maybe 6 inches away from the pipe that goes down into the ground. I have a carboard box over top so it doesn't spray the electrical stuff in the room (even if the power is off)
    For heat in the house... we have a outdoor broiler (big woodstove) that heats our pool, water, and house. So that should still heat the house if the water is turned off. (my mom says)
    The plumber guy couldn't come tonight, but he is coming tomorrow mornnig.
    The pump house/well house is 30+ feet away from my house. Like I said, it's leaking in the pump house close to where the pipe comes up from the ground.

Sorry I am bad at explaining things...

8. Can Can

I need you to clear up a couple of things:

1. In your well pit, where is your actual well casing?

2. What kind of material is your water line made of. Does it come out of the top of the casing?

3. From your description it sounds like you have a submersible pump. Is that correct? Or do you have jet pump/expansion tank setup down there?

4. Can you see where the water line heads towards the house from the well pit?

The reason I'm confused is that the way your well pit is setup is very unfamilar to me. The part about the tap doesn't sound right, unless it's just to help drain the system. Does the part of the system that elbows and then goes straight into the tap thingy end right there? If so, I would get a wrench and spin off the tap thingy as well as the nipple and put a screw plug into the elbow for now. At least then you can run your water to the house until the pro shows up.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ah I knew I would confused everyone.
    I don't know anything about wells, I am trying to describe it how I see it.
    1. If the well casing in where the pipe comes out of, it's in the right hand corner when looking at the stairs.
    2.The water line is made out of metal or something like that, there was a bit of rust I could see.
    3. Sorry Paul, I don't know if I have a submersible pump or a jet pump/expansion tank...like I mentioned, no one has ever told me anything about wells, I am just trying to describe how I see it...
    4. I can see where the water lines go, the main line (that goes to the house) goes into a blue colored tank down in the room, and I guess from there it goes into the house. Then I see smaller lines that go to the yard for the outdoor taps.

I shouldn't have said anything about the tap thing. From my knowledge, it looks like a special tap ground down, so it's just attached to the surrounding pipe. The other tap I know of is to shut off the outdoor taps during winter.
    I would get a picture, but it is too moist in the room I don't want to take the camera in there. When it gets fixed (hopefully tmorrow) I will take a picture and point out what I am saying. I realized I am a lot younger than you, so my knowledge isn't up to speed, so I can't fully answer what your asking. Thanks for the help though!

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

If you Replace the toilet,bang on the kithen sink 3 times, sing the song "Merry had a Little lamb" ,,,, then jump 4 times, ,,,,then ,that should fix it.:grin: Sorry man ,not many around here.Later , jacob:grin:

11. Can Can

Well your descripition makes things a little clearer. The blue tank you're referring to is your pressure tank- it acts as a pressured reserve so your pump isn't always running. Your pump is controlled by a pressure switch that "reads" the pressure in your outlet pipe/pressure tank and turns the pump off and on when required.

Does the "tap" thingy have any power going to it? If so, it could be the pressure switch. It could also be a check valve to keep the house line primed(these are used when you're pumping uphill).

Anyhow, I hope it all works out for you. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics when you take them. I'm going out to Wasa on the 15th to burn my slash pile so I'll take some pics of my system so you can compare.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay its a pressure tank, cool. I remember seeing a pressure guage on the waterline, is that for the pressure tank, or is it just how much water is coming out? The tap thingy has nothing attached to it, I guess it could just be a straight joint. I'll show you when I get the pics!
    Thanks for all the help Paul, I will look forward to see your pics too, so I can compare mine to yours.
    How do you light your slash piles? I have a bunch of stuff I need to burn, but all my kindling is wet, and the dry stuff just gets wet sitting on top of the snow:crazy: I could use gas, but I wasn't sure if I should.
    Thanks again!

13. Can Can

A 20lb propane tank and a tiger torch will eventually light anything, regardless of how wet it is. The pile in question is about 30 feet across and 20 feet tall, so I poke the tiger torch as far into the pile as possible to get to the dry wood.

I'll take some pics of the bonfire, too. Last year the flames were almost 50 feet tall, and this year's pile is at least twice as big.........:eek1:

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    OK, now that you are all confused over this well thing. If your still on-line and want some water tonight or in the morning, lets just forget about all the equipment you have down there. You said you have a small pinhole leak in a steel (galvinized) water line that is spraying. If I was your plumber, I would have asked you if you had a peice of rubber hose or gasket material. Do you have a hose clamp big enough to go around the pipe? If so, take the rubber and the hose clamp and just seal off the hole and turn the water back on. LEAK FIXED until I can get there in the morning. Have a nice night.............customer happy with water until the morning. Get it? It's just a water line.:grin:

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL never thought of that... and I do have hoseclamps laying around! DOH. Thanks!
    Paul, pics would be great of that too, sounds huge!!

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Update

The well guy came today and fixed the pipe that was leaking. Cost 135 bucks, but I think thats mainly the labour, he had to tear the piping apart to get the pipe off.
    There is a lot more stress GONE! woohoo.
    Thanks for your guys' support and help!

17. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Waters On! Woo Hoooo! No problem.
    Yep, sometimes it's better to look at the problem then figure out the system.:D