Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

plumbing trans temp gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greg83k5, Mar 19, 2002.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

i'm fixin' to order one of those cyberdyne gauges for the 700r4 to see what temps it operates at. how do i plumb in the sender, and where?

hopefully it will replace the useless clock in the gauge cluster.....

greg

2. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Greg,

I added a MR Gasket transmission plug to the pan of my 700R4. Then used in place of the plug a VDO gauge sender that bolts in place of the plug that is used. I installed this setup about 4 years ago, and have not had any problems.

I thought it would be more realiable to read the temp in the pan.

Danny

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Just did the B&M gauge in my 91 sub. It's electric & "T"s into the tranny line. B&M instructions (& local tranny shoppe) said to put in return line.
    I liked the B&M gauge better for readability.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I remember someone mentioning that they had used one of the pressure test ports on the tranny for the sender. They just have pipe plugs in them from the factory, so with the proper thread or fitting, you could thread it in like that, and it would be less prone to leakage.

I have heard people say pan, or out to radiator line is the place to put it, but I think *anyplace* is ok to put it, as long as you use it as a relative temp gauge. I would have to think that one of the pressure test fittings would give you a good idea of actual operating pressure. Besides, it would be a nice clean install, out of the way.

5. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

i hear you cluckin' big chicken!

where is them test ports anyways on a 'r4??

greg ( still on the nasal spray )

6. dyeager535

Test ports...on the side of the transmission. Not sure where exactly they are on the 700, but they are probably about the same height as the cooling lines, either on the drivers or passenger side.

7. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Putting a temp gage in the cooler return line is not a true temp reading. Put the sensor in the pan, or in the inlet line to the cooler. Anywhere else is not accurate as these two are. You want to know how hot the tranny is running not how cool it has gotten. Fluid temp range s/b 160 to 180. If any higher look at a bigger external cooler.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I plumbed mine into the pan. even with an external cooler it still runs about 150*

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I did the same thing as Woody, when I put in my B&M gauge. It said the return line, so thats where I put it. Now I am just going ot get another B&M gauge, and put it in the sending line, and that way I have the real temp, and the cooled temp.

10. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

That's what I thought as well about the 'return' line. but that what the de-structions said, as well as the shoppe. I know it's just the temp of the juice going back in... BTW, i did put on one of those big-mule coolers, and normal driving temp on this rascal now is just @ 100 degres. (outside temps have been < 35.......
    I'm thinking a 2nd sender in the HOT line and a switch to toggle between the two......

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, the Test ports are on the Driver side of the tranny (R4)...about same area as the cooler lines (but opposite side).

I bought an R4 from Bowtie OD, haven't put it in yet, but they told me the tranny should not run more than 150 degrees if it's plumbed in the pan (which is where it should be). If it's reading 160, something is not right and it's burning things up....this is according to them.
    Looks like Zakk has his running right /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey Harley,
    Instead of getting another guage, why don't you just get another sending unit and put your current guage on a switch between the two sending units?

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of 2 gauges, can never have too many

14. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

I would think you'd want the gauge to read the temp on the fluid returning to the trans. That way you'd know if your trans cooler is working properly.

15. dyeager535

The temp gauge should be installed wherever the fluid is HOTTEST if possible. (of course, I have no idea where that is) You want to know when the fluid reaches a temperature which will start to cause a problem. You are concerned with not overheating the transmission. If the fluid exceeds whatever temp causes problems (probably max fluid temp before breakdown), and you aren't measuring it at that point, then you don't have anything more than a relative gauge. (which isn't a bad thing)

If cold and hot fluid are mixing, and thats where the sender is, then the reading will not be indicative of the hottest portion of the transmission, and thus, you have to rely on whatever temp is "normal" to determine when the transmission is "overheating"...you won't actually know if the fluid is breaking down elsewhere due to heat, if you aren't measuring at the hottest point, or you don't know what the temperature at location A(sender) will be, if temperature at B (hottest point) is XXX*

Instructions might say then, "install sender in fluid out line. Fluid temperature should be 200 (made up number) degrees normally." That would indicate to me that the manufacturer of said gauge has done some homework, and knows what temp at point B will be, if you see 200 degrees at A. Or that the manufacturer just guessed /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Since it is a "closed" system, fluid temp changes will show no matter where the sender is, just not to the same level in all locations. Again, if you do not know exactly what the temperature should be in the senders installed location, all you can look for is a change from "normal".

I looked for fluid routing charts for the 700, but I didn't find any.

So I say, install where the fluid reaches the hottest point. If thats not known, or not possible, install where recommended, easiest place to install, or wherever you want, and use the gauge to determine when temp isn't "normal"

16. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dorian,
    The hottest point in the trans (auto) is in the TC (torque converter). I'm not sure exactly how to plumb the sender in there though.
    I originally thought just like you did, but then I asked Steve at Bowtie OD, and he told me that if you plumb it in the pan, then the fluid temp should be no more than 150 F, since it will be reading the fluid when it's coolest....He seems to be the R4 guru, so I just went with what he said...But I agree with your logic though.
    Boss /forums/images/icons/wink.gif