Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plz help!! Looking at 84 full sz Blzr w/ 700R4 and a 6.2L diesel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Black96Z28, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Black96Z28

Black96Z28 Registered Member

I am getting it for a temporary work truck and future project. Never owned a diesel before and wonder if any Blazer/jimmy owners have diesels in theres. Am I better off converting to like a 350 or a big block. When I get it I will probably be asking a TON of questions so I apologize in advance for asking so much.

Sorry Just found the Diesel forum but it no one has responded in that forum since yesterday. So If anyone here has suggestions help.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Black96Z28 on 06/19/01 09:55 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry...I havne't been on much since my 1983 K5 Blazer with a 6.2 Diesel was taking a long tour of a deep hole. You really wanna know about em? They are great. Low end torque. Great fuel mileage. They love rocks and mud, just not deep mud. Since the Diesel is heavier than the normal K5 it sinks. Take a look at the Midwest Spring K5 Thing writeup on the main page. See how my Diesel did STOCK.
    If you want more info email me at
    SK-15@home.com
    or just ask on the message board.
    Laters

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Black96Z28

thanks sk-15 I think I'll go ahead and get it cuz it runs great already, has a strong running 4X4, and friend is only asking $750. If it's ok I will certainly be emailing you in the future on modifications to it.
    thanks

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, the diesels are great are in some respects and terrible in others. If you look at the fuel economy, the headaches become worth it. With what you save on fuel, you could buy a new tranny every year. The things to look out for are head gaskets blowing and torched transmissions. The 84 700R4 was not the worst tranny ever, but it's never received any strength awards either. At least it's not an 82 or 83... Check that tranny fluid and check it twice. Find out if it's ever been rebuilt and find out when the fluid was last changed. It's simple and cheap to put new fluid in a slushbox that's been overheated and then everything looks like it's OK. Make sure it shifts right. Put a transmission cooler on it as soon as you get it, if you do. Don't rely on the factory cooler. There are two appropriate sizes for this vehicle: a great big one or a huge one. If you search this forum, you will find lots of stories of roasted 700's and the diesel has more torque.

But, the 6.2 is kind of a dog at something like 150hp. If you have your tranny fixed up, Banks makes a turbo for it that gives you like 240hp (with torque through the roof), less smoke and better mileage if you drive nice, but it's like $2k.

If you are going to see cold weather, check on the glow plugs, relay and electric thermostat control and make sure that you have a pair of big batteries. It only takes one out of eight glow plugs being bad to make it harder to start than a diet.

If you can live with the extra weight, black smoke, loud rattling noise everywhere you go and having to warm it up every time before you drive, the diesel can be a long-running, fuel friendly rig.

<font color=green>If a K-5 is "Built not Bought", why does this stuff cost me so much money? [​IMG] </font color=green>

5. Black96Z28

Cool, I am glad I am getting all this up front so I know what to check for when I go look at it again. I think if it is strong running and seems taken care of I might go ahead and get it for work. I will definately look into a tranny cooler ASAP too. thanks again.

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 88 wich has turned the odometer twice. If it has a good clean service record they will last at least 4 odometer turns. ( Mines in Km, and I dont know exactly how that translates into miles[​IMG])

Take off the lid on the airfilter, ask the owner when he changed it last. They should be changed every year.

Ask when the fuel-filter was last changed, if you get a yearly answer there to, it a good start.

If it starts on the first turn, and dont have any weird clanking or knocking once it warms upp the engine is most likely ok.

I built mine with 7" lift and 35" tires and the low end torc is nice when getting the big wheels rolling[​IMG]

Stay away from it if it leaks oil ( a litle from the valvecovers are ok)

Stay away from it if you feel no trotle respons, and it's letting out lots of smoke when you try to accelerate normaly.

Also it's always a good idea to make a diesel mechanic look it over as the last thing you do before you sign the papers. It could save you lots of money.

maybe I helped some.

<font color=red><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</A></font color=red>

7. Black96Z28

oh yeah, you've all helped a ton so far. thanks