Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pneumatic quick connect couplers

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by readymix, Apr 19, 2007.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Every focking one I have leaks to the point of driving me insane.

I went to Lowes today on a mission to get some of better quality.
    I found that they had a few different types...what do they all mean and what ones seal the best or work the best?
    here are a few of the types I remember:
    - T
    - A
    - U
    - I/M
    - C

???? W T F O ????

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm no help, but you just brought up a rant for me... :doah: :mad:

Every shop I've ever been in uses the stubby, standard ones... Well, freakin Winters decided at some point in history, that it would be a good idea to use the long, twist-lock ones.. 2 nipples on either side, push all the way in, turn 90...

Not only are they a pain in the arse, but ya can't buy the stupid things! I think Devilbiss is the only one that makes the damn things.. They're like $10 a piece, minimum... :eek1: :mad:

I've hit the parts room up for about 1/2 a dozen, he's like "What, are ya selling em?" Had to mention to em that I have like 30 freakin air tools to reoutfit... :haha:

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

We have those on the ship. They work well but are a huge PITA and do not seal the air in the hose when you disconnect a tool.

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

I have some I got at lowes, They are a universal coupler, they will take any male nipple style. and the inside seal is rubber, so they seal very nice. also, you don't have to pull the coupler protion down to insert tool, when you release the tool, the coupler stays down, so you just push the next tool in. If that makes sense, these are the bomb.

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I use the ones from harbor freight, and have never had a problem, haha

But then again, they don't see that much use....

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've got two of the ones Jason is talking about. I bought the first one a couple years ago in hopes of stopping some leaks with the o-ring seal. They are better than the cheapies I got from HF. Later, I found out the cheep ones I had just plain sucked. When my dad redid some things in his shop he gave me a couple good quality couplers he had left over. They are nice industrial ones with big bodies that stick out enough you can kick them to disconnect.

Anyway, I bought another of the o-ringed ones from Loew's when I realized it would accept the long nipples as well as the standard, short ones. The place I was working used the long nipples, so that saved me from swapping every time I brought something home.

7. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

You cannot buy good couplers at a hardware store. And good ones cost 8 to 12 bucks each. All of mine are the 1 to 1.50 dollar junk that come from Lowe's. Milton are good, Tool Crib has cheapest mail order price. Duofast are the best. They sell those at some industrial supply house. I can afford one or two. It's hard to beat the cheap ones when you have a dozen or so air tools and miles of hose with lots of fittings.