Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PNW People

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by JIM88K5, Sep 16, 2002.

1. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

How is living in the PNW ? I'm looking to move in. I think I got a good hit on a Chev. Dealer Parts job. Thats what I do now. I look at on-line realestate and housing looks great compared to San Diego. How are property taxes,gas,insurance,veh reg,utilties ect... How much does it really rain ? Throw out some pros & cons for me. I check the PNW forum every time I'm on the site. Later this month or early next month I plan on driving up to see about the job and hopefully get some fishin done. My father in law lives in Beverton Or. I've vacationed in Sandy Or. twice and I think I love it. Tell me your thoughts...
    Jim

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Vancouver People

I know I'm gonna get crap for this, but what the hell. MY opinion, Oregon is better, we don't have sales tax, oregon is easier to smog and insure older vehicles, fishing is GOOD in both. I was born and raised in oregon, so that is just my opinion. Anyways, good luck on your possible job transfer and welcome to the NW.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: Vancouver People

I've lived in 5 states, including Spring Valley, CA (near the Cajon Zone as it's known) and Oregon is my favorite BY FAR. Great fishing, hunting, hiking, boating, etc. You name it, it's got it to do. Real estate is lower than San Diego..........property taxes are high but probably not as high as you are used to. Utilities - used to be the very cheapest electricity in the nation, not so anymore, but nothing is cheap anywhere anymore. Rain is not near as bad as is rumored (we bitch about it, but let an Oregonian spend a winter in the snow belt and they'll clam up quick), summers are the best in the country - sunny and 80ish from July through September (sometimes it starts in June like this year) with NO rain. Just got rain today, first time in many weeks.............

Can you tell I love it here? I do. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When you do decide to come up, let everyone know and if your time permits, we'll try to all get together and do a meet and greet.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very good idea /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

O happy day.. No prob. on the meet & greet That would be cool. Keep the feedback comin.
    Jim

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Aint nothin wrong with a little rain... rain means the real wheelin srtarts LOL
    And from the looks of it the A/T's are coming off this weekend
    Where abouts is the job located?
    I work in Portland but live in Rainier, it is a bit of a commute but the trade off is well worth it. No DEQ to fool with and the housing is way cheaper than the metro area.
    I have lived from one end of the states to the other, I left here in 87 and finaly came to and returned in 98.
    Out of everywhere I have lived I always missed the NW.
    I never get tired of the mountains and forests. Where else can ya be on the hwy and turn left or right and in a few minutes be in the middle of a forest?

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i have lived in the same freaking house since my pereants brought me home from the hospital. i love it here, snow,m rain, sand mud water, coast, mountains... we have it all and you can do it all ib one day

-Jeremy

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Well, I moved out here from the Midwest... I spent 2 years in Central Oregon which is a high desert (dry and alot of rust free vehicles). I love it here too just wish I had more time to enjoy everything around me. No sales tax, high income tax (9% on income above $5000 I think?), Cheap vehicle registration ($30 for 2 years), I cant tell you about the property tax since I have rented out here.

10. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

m only 21 so i dont have as much expirience as everyone else talknig, but i have lived here all of my 21 years and i think i will live here all my life, (unless i get offered a job making millions then ill move) Fishing, Hunting, Wheeling, Snowboarding.... the rain doesnt bother me i dunno abuot you, but i was getting kinda sick of Summer heat and im ready for the cold wet and muddy season, the only thing i would change about oregon would be More snow in the west, and Ban Indians from running there damn salmon nets in the Columbia....