Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pocket Programmer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Mar 28, 2005.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK this is a question for those who actually use these please!
    I've read thruogh the search stuff and been to thirdgen etc etc and many vendors sites. Looks like i need a pocket programmer and UV eraser from Xtronics and I planned on buying the Tuner programme from CATS (and a few spare chips)
    Does this sound good? Have I overlooked something? Do any of you know better equiptment or programmes?
    Any advice greatly accepted :grin:

2. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Insted of getting the UV eraser why not just get the EEPROMs. They are electronically eraseable from the programmer. I have this setup and it is pretty easy to use. They work just as well and save you the money from having to buy the eraser. I forget where I got mine, but I thing Craig Moates sells them, along with anything else you will need for proramming.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Forget the UV eraser stuff, that is old school.

Use EEPROM's, pocket programmer 2 will erase those, and is just all around a better idea than the UV setup.

If you've looked at thirdgen, then you know about things like the prominator and similar.

IMO all those gadgets (such as prominator and ostrich, etc) may make tuning easier (as it will take probably 100 or more burns to "get it right") but if you are ONLY going to be burning for one vehicle, and don't plan on changing the engine after you get the PROM right, it makes little sense to spend more money on those gadgets that will only get used "one time".

I am borrowing a friends Pocket Programmer 2, (yay!) and spent $55 on the GP1 package over at moates.net, (for the ZIF socket and the chips, ZIF just makes sense) and that is everything I need for my '165 MAF tuning. Well, and I'll be using tunerproRT which is free, and I built my cable, but I'll probably shoot Mark Mansur the registration fee because he and Moates are in it to help the hobby, and really are responsive to inquiries and bugs that crop up. (and tunerproRT is great) I just hope they can keep up their enthusiasm for it, as it benefits all tuners.

The free programs are great because even without the PP2, you can load the program up, and play with the chip "virtually" to get a feel for it. Plus you can learn as you read about tuning on thirdgen.org, and SEE what they are talking about. Download tunerproRT, get the ECM definition file for your ECM ('747, right?) get a .bin that is close to your application (or the exact one if you know the BCC of the PROM, and if it's available online) and play with it.

PP2 software is also something you can play with before actually burning PROM's, but as far as I can tell, their software is something you have to purchase, not available free at all.

Hope this helps somewhat!

4. southernspeed

I saw something about the eeproms. That looks like the way to go. Have you got a link for Moates and a p/n for the chips for our trucks?
    Thanks for your help guys! :)

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, Craig's site is www.moates.net

Here is a thread where Craig talks about the 2732 chip which *appears* to be what your ECM (1227747 right?) takes. TBI PROM

Here is a link to a ZIF for that application: Moates ZIF

I'm not going to lie, I know very little about the TBI setups, except that the truck ones are apparently slightly inferior to car TBI ECM's, and the TBI ECM's are inferior to 1986 and later TPI ECM's. Later TBI I'm sure was improved somewhat by 1996, but I'm not sure how.

I don't see the TBI PROM's listed on Moates site. Maybe I'm just missing them? You might have to email moates, but first check out the forums on his site, and thirdgen.org extensively for more info. I just don't have the time to read every TBI post over on thirdgen, but I did look quickly. :)

Here's another post about taking TBI to "the next level"

Still not clear on what chip you will need to buy to burn though. Looks like a Moates adapter is what you will be wanting, but research until you find out for sure.

Edit: I really hope someone that has actually done this on truck TBI steps up, might save you some time/effort, but even if not, the time you spend searching you will learn a LOT about the system and what you will be getting into.

6. southernspeed

Thanks for your help Mr. D! I've read a lot and, as I hate reading PDF files, have printed out over 300 pages of stuff today and read them (wife works for the government and, err...'gets' paper for when working at home!)
    It's a real minefield but I'm determined to try and learn as much as poss. I f anyone else has got some pointers as to what they have adjusted on their setups, that would be a help and a push in the right direction!
    :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Personally i would go with one of these: http://www.misterbill.homeip.net/aboutprominator.asp
    IMHO they are the way to go. Dont need a bunch of chips, Costs less or same as a flash programmer and eraser. Able to store multiple sets of images and switch from one to the other. The software looks good. Plug and play.

I dont have direct experience with the Prominator. But I have used a very similar unit called aTWEECER on Ford EEC IV (OBD1) computers They work great. Ford guys have been using them for years to beat Chevys :grin: They are pretty much essintial if you are running a lot of engine mods and want to do your own programing.

Might want to get a hold of DirtWarrior I think he is running a Prominator

8. southernspeed

Interesting! Thanks. :)

DIRTWARRIOR I can't Pm ya...what do think of the Prominator?

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Not yet....

:frown1: i'm still waitin on it. It should be in the mail from speedtronics... that seems to be the best one I've seen, for me especially because i don't have to deal with chips if i ever have to pass smog again for cali. Just burn a smog MAP and a non smog MAP save em and im good to go. I'll let you know when it comes and what i think of it but from what i saw it looks like its gonna be pimp sh$t. Good luck

http://www.misterbill.homeip.net/aboutprominator.asp

P.S. Just keep asking... i'm sure somebody is running one of these things.

10. southernspeed

:waytogo: Thanks, I'll be interested to know how you get on.