Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pocket Watches

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

I love pocket watches! Got this one for Christmas one year, while I've also got another one (quartz movement however) as well. I love the mechanical one more of course.

Tell your wives that the one in the link makes a great next-year present if you're not getting one this year!

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i had a pocket watch as a kid. i do like them. i can not wear a wrist watch as it irritates my skin for some reason. it also gets in the way too much. my cell phone is my time telling device. soon to upgrade to a blackberry.
    :pimp:
    grant

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Me HATE cellphones with a passion! Instead of a cellphone, I'm instead gonna earn my Technician ham license this spring and get me a real radio instead. Problem with cellphones as we all know is that if the regular POTS system goes down, your cellphone won't work. Ham radio will work no matter what as long as you got a power source of some kind.

Like I saying before, I've got another pocket watch too, but it's a quartz movement one so I don't like it as much. I've stolen the chain off of it to use on my mechanical one, it's original chain broke.

4. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

yea great, so the phones go down, now you can talk to some guy in europe over the HAM radio... but you cant get ahold of your family to see if they are okay?

Speaking of which, I work in telecommunications... how often has your phone system gone down?

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Not yet around here, but I think that's mostly because of my dad seemingly being Verizon's only competant linesman, and sadly he's working tonight.

If among my presents tonight is the new camera I've been asking for, I'll try to post up some pics of my mechanical pocket watch so y'all can see the case differences between it and the link.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

here on camp pendleton there is the choice of sprint, or t-mobile. they both use the same towers as it was part of the monoplistic gov contract to only let them two have service on base, so if something happens and it does once a month or so then no service on base.

but my phone still tells time.....
    Grant

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, cellphones are evil........:surepal:

I can tell you don't have a wife who travels alone on the highway at night.:deal:

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

People are evil, cellphones are neutral

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

No, check it out. Cell phones come all kinds of colors, and lights even.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

jeeze, you mean to tell me KimCan doesnt have a HAM license, and a radio in the truck? what kinda woman did you marry Paul?

oh yeah... a NORMAL one. :screwy::haha:

11. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

It's them people in the stores and eatin' places that are rude and inconsiderate that are evil not the phones. Oh don't forget the ones riding down the road talking about nothing instead of paying attention to what's goin' on.

12. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

1.) Pleeeaaaassseee stop doing the "Me HATE" thing. I'm sure you're smart enough to know it's "I hate." You're not a beast or something, nor are you a boy with dog ears... who I'm sure talks with more sense than that anyways.
    2.) So when you're bored and rollin down the road, you're gonna HAM up one of your friends to see what he's up to?
    3.) I will admit HAM radios are more portable than a giant cell phone...
    4.) HAM is the way of the future... I definately see it making a comeback and taking over the cellular market. :rolleyes:

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm not so sure about that one Grieby... :whistle: