Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PO'd at the PO

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by akbound, Aug 15, 2004.

1. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

PO\'d at the PO

Help!! When I bought my 76 Blazer 350/465/205 and 32" Mall Terrains the PO told me that the speedo was correct.

Apparently it is off by at least 7 mph since I just got a ticket. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

How can I fix this? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I want to fix it and show the receipt to the judge after I throw myself to the mercy of the court. I'll even put on my Sunday-go-to-church clothes!

TNX! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Re: PO\'d at the PO

Take it to a speedo shop. They can check the current reading and put a ratio adapter inline to correct the reading. Take the paperwork from the shop with you to court and maybe the judge will take pitty on you and dismiss the ticket.

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i had the same problem with a truck i bought a few years ago. Speedo was 12 mph off. I fixed it, went to court proving that my speedo was exactly 12 mph off, the judged laughed and asked how i would like to pay my ticket.

4. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Boy, you sure know how to raise a guys spirits!! Thanks for keeping me grounded, but I am still going to give it a shot if I can fix it.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i did the same thing,and it worked.it cost $125.00 to get it fixed.but it was cheaper than three years of higher ins. payments. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you're not REALLY into keeping the dash clean and correct and working, I'd just buy one of those sub $100 GPS units and use that, it's what I plan on doing

Once I get all the gauges to break and replaced I can paste a fun picture ont he gauge bezel, like "Hello Cowboy!" *spike head*

7. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It won't hurt anything to try. I lived in a little town outside of san antonio, small town cops, small town judge, thats probably why the judge wouldn't dismiss the ticket. Good luck to ya though

8. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

my roomie had a similair problem here in San Diego, went to the speedo shop, which showed his speedo was off and he paid to have it fixed...went to court, and brought his reciepts for his tires too ( a few months old)...gave a lil sob story how the tire shop said they wouldn't change his speed THAT much (which turned into about 12 MPH he was off) Judge made it a fix-a-ticket and paid the court fees. FYI, one ticket won't effect your insurance...it'll stay on your record for 3 yrs, and in CA anyway, you can do a defense driving course online and have it removed from your record anyway.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get it fixed, take paperwork to the county atty's office, chances are they'll dissmiss it without having too go infront of a judge. No court cost that way.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Change the speedometer gear. If you do a web search, you will find the different gears available and how to calculate which ones you need. It is fairly simple if you know your true tire diameter and your rear end ratio. Most speedos (regardless of brand) are 1000 rotations/mile. You can check if it is correct by clocking a decent number of mile markers on the freeway. The odometer and speedometer are going to be off by the same percentage.

This Site lists stuff for 2WDs, but the transfer cases pretty much use the same driven gears as the tailshafts of the 2WD trannies. The drive gears are different, but the hopefully all you will need is the driven gear. It is also easy to change.

Here's the TCI site which has a calculator and more info.

Don't go by the speedo being off by "7mph". Figure out what percentage it is off. If it is 7mph low at 60mph, then it is off by 11.7%. Multiply this by the number of driven gear teeth you currently have to find the number of teeth that you need. For example, if you currently have 40 teeth, then you need 35 teeth.