Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

poible answer to why rear window wont open..?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Apr 24, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hey guys
    well as i have said befor my rear window wont open. (i have power windows)..the moter runs when i hit the switch but the window does not move. well me and a friend were cleaning it out a little in the back today..and found this little round unit wiht a litle gear on the back, and a black wire hose type thing.connected to it..wiht a big plug on the end of it. im guessing maybe this is a part form it that needs to be in there?...im about to go find out..

bryan-later

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The "black wire hose" sounds like the drive cable. But the gear sounds like perhaps something broke off of the motor itself. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

k well heres the thing.
    i just hooked that thing up..and when i hit the swith..it jumps and turns the litle gear on it...but great..now i ca nNOT find out were the hell that unit is suppost to bolt onto!! and its driving me crazy i was out there 3 hours straight trying to figure this out and have gotten no were!! the way i see it..this moter turns something in that litle drive hose or something as you call it..witch tunrs the little gear on thsat unit..which im thinknig..should turn the gears ot move the window down!!...but man im about to just totally destroy that tailgate..(its a pos anyways and i have a new one for it) ..and take that new one and put a crank window in it!!.. CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAVE ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!! lol

thanx a bunch!-Bryan

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

any oneee have anyyyy clueeee out there??? i REALLY nedd some help!!

thanx-Bryan

5. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

Re: possible answer to why rear window wont open..?

I recently replaced the cable assembly on mine. It twisted into. The lift cable that runs from the motor to the drive assembly is essentially a speedometer cable. GM still has these in stock. If you go to a national parts chain and ask for one of these, you'll get the ? look. If I remember correctly, the end of the cable that connects to the motor is threaded. The end that connects to the window snaps into the regulator. If you are sitting in the rear of blazer facing out, it will be on the left side to the rear of the regulator. It is very difficult if not impossible to see. I used a mirror and a flashlight to put mine back together. I would send a pic, but I don't want to take all that apart again.

6. martin59

martin59 Registered Member

Bryan, I just replaced the window motor on my suburban. What piece did you find? Also where was this piece laying? I am also assuming that your rear window set up is the same as mine. I had to purchase a new motor. I will caution you that this is a fairly expensive item.

7. martin59

martin59 Registered Member

Listen to him Bryan!
    It sounds as if the rear window on a blazer is diffrent.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: possible answer to why rear window wont open..?

is this regulater your talinig about a little grey colord unit that has a little gear on the back of it..and 4 bolts on the back of it?

thanx-Bryan

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i foudn the little "gear box thingy" as i call it its lieke a regulater or soemthing..has a little gear on the back of it. but i found it in the back of the truck..not actually in the tail gate..guess it was taked out once or something.

thanx-Bryan

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

woooOOWWW..
    man all these people who are supposidly "4x4ers" and do all this stuff to there trucks..and only like 2 people know anything about a tailgate with power window!! LOL..(well at least 2 out of 87 so far LOLOL) o well guess im on my own on this one!!

bryan

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

That's not true. Many of us know about power windows and have had them apart several times to fix them and know them inside and out. It's just that it's hard to understand what you are trying to describe /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ... the only reason I keep reading it is in hopes that someone will be able to figure out what your problem is /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It's kind of like a soap opera /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Maybe some pics???

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Just a friendly word of advice. You are asking for help so don't be a smart ass and criticize the people trying to help you. Your descriptions aren't much help. You will find that the everyone on this site is willing to help and are an endless source of info you won't find elsewhere. Suburban and Blazer tailgates are different. Go to your local GM dealer and get an exploded view of the parts and where they go.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

no..sorry if i come across that way lol..i wasnt trying to be a smart ass it was just a joke lol..ill make that more clear next time!! yea i guess thats what im gonig to have to do get an exploded view.. well if you know the window moter in the tail gate..and that black thick wire that goes form there..to that other thing.. little gear box type thing that i have no clue what its called..well i was wondering what to hook THAT up to...

thanx-Bryan

14. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

The black wire has a cable in it which will be square on the end (about 1/8 x 1/8 inch), that connects to the regulator transmission (a round looking piece about 3 or 4 inches in diameter). The transmission regulator bolts to the gears (window regulator). One thing you could do is disconnect the cable from the motor and connect it to the transmission regulator and spin it by hand using a small ratchet (you acting like the motor). The gears should move and should tell you if the trans reg is broken or not.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

s oare you saying like take the plug out form the moter..and plug it right into the regulater..?? but what about the other end of the cable thats coming out form it...or thats plugged into it rather.(the regulater)..im not really clear on what your saying...

bryan

16. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

That does seen a little unclear /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    Yep, one end of the cable connected to the regulator the other end (which connects to the motor) is the free end that you get to play with /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Better?

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh...but this is with the regulater bolted up onto the gears and al lright! lol..cuase i just found mine laying under the carpet the other day..(bought this thing like last weekend so..lol)..so hook that up.(regulater)..and try playing with the gear with out the other end of the cable connected ot the moter..?

Bryan-thanx

Bryan

18. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

BINGO !!!!

19. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

shaking my head LMAO/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lol ok thanx...and gotmud..whats so funny hear...lol

bryan