Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pointers: Replacing Body Mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scubahard, Dec 10, 2004.

1. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

Replacing Body Mounts

I am replacing my body mounts on my 1981 K1500 this weekend and I had a question. There are six locations where the cab mounts to the frame. The two in the middle and the two in the rear have the bolt thread up from the bottom and into the cab. Are the nuts that go to these screws attached to the cab? I do not see a way to gain top access to the nuts to hold them with a wrench. I did not want to start unscrewing before I knew what was going to happen. So, those that can answer my question, it would be great if I could get your two cents.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  2. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

The 4 bolts that go up into the cab mounts (2 on each side) thread into blind nutplates that are held in place by some tack welded clips. The problem that you may encounter is the tack welds break easily and you are left with a nut on the end of a bolt you can't reach. If that happens you will need to cut or drill a stratiegiclly located access hole through the floor from the inside to hold the nut. If the truck is a native CA truck, you may be lucky and they will come right out. Being on the East Coast, I have to contend with that ever present rust.