Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

points ignition= Dead.. causes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ok, here's the deal... last night, I tore the tranny hump out of my truck, and fixed my Tcase shifter bolt that one of the previous owners had sheared off... after I extracted the old bolt, and put in the new bolt, I tried to start the truck, but got nothing... it cranks over, and it is pumping fuel ( exhaust deffinately smells like raw fuel) but there's absolutely no spark. what are the possibilities I have going on here? I've checked the `starter field coil wire' and it is hooked up... unfortunately, the rest of it is kind of questionable. there's of course the 2 small posts, and the large coil wire out post on the coil... what I have is 1 wire coming out of the bottom of the distributor, and 2 wires from inside the firewall on one terminal, and 1 wire from the rectifier/capacitor, the field coil wire, on the other terminal... I could be wrong, and have one of then confused... will look when I get home. any idea what all the wires do? or what could be dead? the kicker here, is that none of the wires on the coil are OEM... they're all replaced with random black wires that disapear into a giant ball of wires either inside the firewall, or wrapped tightly in electric tape.

will it be easier for me to drop in my spare fully funcitonal HEI, then to even try and troubleshoot this stupid thing?

thankyou in advance....

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Just put the HEI in. Its much better than points. One of the best things ive done to my truck.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, I figgured as much... been meaning to do it, but putting it off for quite some time. no real reason to, since all I need is about 20 minutes to do the stupid thing, but yanno how it goes... the good news is my boss is letting me out of work early, so I can get home, and replace the Distributor, and with luck make it up to the AZ full size meet near black canyon city.

Thankyou,

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

lol, just make sure you bypass the ballast resistor for the HEI!!

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html>http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html</a>

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Also the plug wire ends are different !

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

where were you an hour before you posted executioner??

I had to scramble and find my spare set of HEI plugs... :-P

its all good now.... I AM so goin' 4 wheelin now!!

thankyou all!

-Rich