Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Points to HEI help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Panther, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I am trying to do my points to HEI swap on my Jimmy and have some questions. And yes I did a search /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

First of all, I got two distributors and one cap from a buddy of mine from his vast pile of stuff. The cap is clearly an HEI cap. However I have a question on the actual distributors. Both have the harness that plugs into the cap. However, one has the 4 wire harness that I believe is for ESC. Is it even possible to use this distributor on my truck. I know you can put non-ESC distributors on ESC trucks or de-ESC your distributor (with some splicing) but could you (if you had nothing else), put a ESC distributor on a non-ESC truck?

Second, how can I identify the other distributor as an HEI distributor (the rotor, housing, etc)? I want to make sure it's not another points distributor before I pull my current setup.

About my current setup, I was looking at it last nite and apparently a PO added something. I have this box: Box pic on my firewall. It has four wires connected to it and they are the 2 wires from the points distributor and 2 wires from the coil. That box is all the distributor and coil are connected to (although there is a good possibility I accidentally pulled a poorly spliced wire last nite while sorting through it all). If anyone can tell me what this is and if it will affect my HEI swap, I would appreciate it.

Last question is basically on the install. I know it's a "drop in", but I don't want to screw up my timing (if that's possible). The cap only goes onto the distributor one way from what I can tell thanks to a little tab, so that's fine. But how do I line up the new distributor and cap to drop in? If I was just pulling and replacing the existing one, I would mark it all, but I can't do that here obviously. In other words, how do I make sure the "cylinder 1 terminal" on the cap and the rotor are in the same place as they were on the points cap. Does the oil pump prevent me from lining that up incorrectly?

Thanks!!

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

All you need to run a non-ESC dist. is a keyed power wire run to the "BATT" terminal on the cap. You can convert an ESC dist., you will definitely need the module from an older dist. and possibly the pickup coil(?). Everything else is the same.

If it has more than one wire coming out of the base and uses the big cap, it is an HEI distributor.

The rotor should point in the same direction on both distributors. Just put a mark on the intake or firewall so you'll know where it's supposed to be.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Search again back a few days to 2 weeks for HEI and youll find a post about the exact thing your talking about. I know its there, I posted in it. It may be in the garage or 73-91 forum, I dont recall which forum it was.

I gave a link that tells how to convert the ESC to normal. All you have to do is cut 2 wires and connect them together. Nothing else is needed. No pick ups ETC. Just 2 wires. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you havent found it by tonite Ill find it and give you a link to it.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Search again back a few days to 2 weeks for HEI and youll find a post about the exact thing your talking about. I know its there, I posted in it. It may be in the garage or 73-91 forum, I dont recall which forum it was.

I gave a link that tells how to convert the ESC to normal. All you have to do is cut 2 wires and connect them together. Nothing else is needed. No pick ups ETC. Just 2 wires. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the LINK.

You also referenced THIS excellent article.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey guys. Yeah I saw that article and post during my search. But my truck does not have ESC stock so I have nowhere to plug that harness into, spliced or not. It needs no input on those wires?

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

The HEI conversion that you are doing requires only a power input and (if you have a tach) a tach output. MAKE SURE YOU PROVIDE FULL BATTERY VOLTAGE to the HEI. Your current (points) distributor has a balast resistor (or resistance wire) providing power to the distributor.

You can get a complete wiring kit that is designed specifically for the conversion you are doing from MAD Electrical.

[​IMG]

The kit is only $18.95 and it has the connectors and wiring and instructions included.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The HEI conversion that you are doing requires only a power input and (if you have a tach) a tach output. MAKE SURE YOU PROVIDE FULL BATTERY VOLTAGE to the HEI. Your current (points) distributor has a balast resistor (or resistance wire) providing power to the distributor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it needs the 12V source, no 6V resistor-ed source. My question is whether I can just short the green and black wires on the 4 wire set and leave the harness unconnected (read: the brown and white wires will now be dangling). This means the distributor needs no input from the brown or the white wire in order to work properly.

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it has more than one wire coming out of the base and uses the big cap, it is an HEI distributor.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cap is not on it, so I'm not sure. And there are two wires coming out of the bottom of my points distributor too, that's why I asked. Thanks, I might get this project done eventually. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The distributor needs no input at all from anything to that connector. Just splice the 2 wires together and your ready to fire. Ive done this a few times and know several others that have since finding out about it and it works fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Splice the 2 and let the others hang in the breeze.

Just dont use a scotch lock on them. Cut the wires and splice them together properly. Scotch lock is the thingy you put over the wires and press it closed to make contact. If you ever have a short or a draw in the electrical system, look for the scotch lock and thats prob. where it is. The last dist I fixed that was converted had aloose scotch lock. I cut the wires and used a but connector and its been fine since.

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Sweet, thanks a whole lot for the help guys. I was having a hard time getting over not having that harness plugged in.

Actually since the whole thing it out right now, I think I'm going to cut off the harness, cap the two loose wires and solder the splicers together and cover it with some shrink wrap.

And does anyone on Earth know what that stupid box is? If I don't get any takers, I'll post another thread with just that in it.

Thanks again, COK5 to the rescue as usual!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif