Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Points to Hei Need Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kiley, Feb 2, 2003.

1. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I posted this in the first gen forum but I'm putting it here hoping to get some good info. I just swapped from points to hei on my 72 k5 350 motor. The new distributor won't go all the way back in with the rotor in exactly the same position as the old one. Obviously this will mess up the firing order. I thought that all chevy distributors worked with all engines? Where did I go wrong?

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

pull dist out and put in while turning rotor clockwise and counterclockwise.should be able to move it one notch at time till it sets where needed.OR,turn oilpump shaft with long screwdriver to line up with desired spot. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. kiley

kiley Registered Member

've pulled it out slightly and turned it "a notch" at a time. There are two points at which it sets all the way down. They are 180 degrees apart. Does the oil pump shaft fit into the bottom side of the distributor?

4. fenderbender

fenderbender Registered Member

The oil pump shaft is a little off. Turn it with a long screwdriver a little each way and it should drop right in. Sometimes when you pull it out the oil pump shaft turns a little and you have to line it back up

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The oil pump shaft is a little off. Turn it with a long screwdriver a little each way and it should drop right in. Sometimes when you pull it out the oil pump shaft turns a little and you have to line it back up

[/ QUOTE ] That was my answer.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ive never done this swap myself but have been told there is a resistor in the wire that will need to be removed to get a full 12V to the HEI coil.

Maybe someone else that HAS done it can verify this.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Right, don't use the same 12v wire that went to the points coil. You will need to run a new wire from the IGN terminal on your fuse box or a suitable IGN source.

8. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

9. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

yep pull the resistor wire outta the bulhead connector, open the connectors on each end very carefully, resolder them to a chunk of 10 guage wire and put em back in. the pinout of the bulkhead connector is at the aforementioned url in a wiring sub directory I think. If not let me know. I think i even edited the connector lables to indicate HEI

any other question ya have for me might be better off in an email.

boots@commerceconnections.com
    as i don't always check the boards on a daily/nightly basis

10. kiley

kiley Registered Member

Thanks for your help guys. I got it running and it's Awesome. I've got more power now. Any ideas on why it still has a problem with bogging down when I step on it?

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status