Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Points to HEI (Spark but not starting)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stus84, Nov 6, 2006.

1. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

So I read how easy it was to convert from points to hei here on a search and decided to try it this weekend and now (my luck) the k5 wont fire. any comments or ideas would be helpful - thanks.

I have spark but it just keeps turning over not even thinking about firing up - it did backfire twice the first time I tried to fire it.

Note: 84 k5 with an early 70's 327. The distributor was from a friend not new parts.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

are you sure that your timining is correct, and also did you remove the restor from the power wire to the points?

3. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

make sure you arnt 180 out or have the wires crossed 1st.if all that is correct then start testing the hei parts.

4. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys - I double checked the wires but as far as being 180 out I dont know? I also did not remove anything from the power wire but I didnt see anything to remove? #1 was driver side front of motor piston was at the top and the mark was set on 0.??

5. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

If I have spark all the HEI parts should be fine right??

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup...

definitely sounds 180 out if you've got backfiring...

find TDC... Whereever your rotors pointing, start lacing #1 from there...

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

And make sure that you have full battery voltage (and a big enough wire) to the HEI power lead.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Can't stress this enough. The points power wire is small and has a resistor inline. I would -- and did, with great improvement! -- run a #10 or #12 wire from the fusebox (find a start+run hot) straight to the HEI power.

When running, my HEI was actually seeing 8 or 9 volts. Amazing that it ran, really. With the new wire, it was seeing 12.x ... ran smoother, I tell ya!

-- A

9. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ABSOLUTELY make sure you get rid of that Resistor wire.
    It ruined a month for me trying to figure it out.
    You NEED 12v or you may not start. Also double-check your timing. I THOUGHT I had it right, but I was about 20 degrees retarded and it caused lots of trouble.

If you didn't take it out, that is your problem. In mine it was a pink wire running from the firewall junction up along the firewall almost to the harness that goes to the engine. The insulation was clearly labeled "resistor wire". You'll know it when you find it. :)

10. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

Thanks - I will be working on it in 4 hours after I get off work, I will try all the suggestions and report back with some pics.

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think you are 180 off. In the two conversions I have done I never took out the resistor until I got everything running and they both started just fine

12. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

180 Out :bow: Thanks - the k5 is rolling again. Also has 12V and timing is on the nuts. Running much better than before, I agree I should have done it a long time ago.. I took a some pics but they didnt turn out so I wont post em. But I will try to take some more & some action shots this weekend out on the trail....