Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

points to HEI what do I need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my 1973 K20 could use a new ignition system, since it still has the craptacular points setup. what would it take to take my spare HEI distributor/cap/etc and drop it into the engine? I figgure its a strait forward swap, except for the TDC lands in a different spot on the HEI, then on a Points.

what wire(s) will I need to connect to the main power in lead? the points has the one that comes from the starter field coil, and one from somewhere else on the firewall ( as well as the TACH wire) which of these wires do I need? or should I just run a new one from the block?

thankyou in advance,
    -Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

This is a very simple straight forwad swap. If you have the HEI distributor already then you have all that you need. You can point the rotor where ever you want when you drop it is as long as you are at TDC for number 1 one the compression stroke and you place your wires accordingly(1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2). From the factory(standing at the front of the motor) the rotor was pointed at the front left post for number 1. Run a new power supply wire to the hot terminal on the cap because the factory coil hot wire is too small to carry the current needed. Your tach wire will connect to the post right beside the power wire. That is all there is to it.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is drop it in at TDC #. You will also want to get HEI wires and probably a new set of plugs because you can generally run a larger gap with HEI. Just run a 12 gauge wire from a spot on your fuse block that is linked to your ignition(has voltage when you turn the key) to the BAT terminal on the HEI. Real simple, I did it to my 73 and I loved how it turned out.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, I've been planning on replacing the plugs, and wires anyway, since they're probably older then I am... or so they would seem.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>