Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

points to HEI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grunt11b40x, Oct 12, 2003.

1. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

I want to swap in a HEI distro, does anyone have some how to info that they would share? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I did it on my 73 and it made the biggest difference, starts up much easier now than it used to and runs better. if you have any questions send me a pm and ill do my best to answer them. one of the best mods on my truck

4. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

Make sure the hot wire going from your ignition to your distributor is not a resistor wire, it it is change it out, you need a full 12 volts for HEI. a points distributor setup will have a resistor on it somewhere to keep from burning up the contacts prematurely.

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

It is a very easy swap and well worth it. To avoid any wiring issues, I ran a new piece of wire from the cap to the fuse box.

My only issue was that the first one I dropped in had a bad module and then I dropped in the dist 180* off the first time. There are a lot of threads on setting your timing/swapping in a new dist. Try these two for starters:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=794579
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=787611
    (the latter was my thread when I did my head rebuild and my dist was off when I put everything back together)

HTH /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif