Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POKE ME IN THE EYE WITH A STICK!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 7, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ever since the IROK came out, I didn't like it very much because I thought it was JUST a rockcrawler tire, despite what magazines said(woops /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) So, before I was planning on getting TSL's or boggers. But I went onto the interco site last night to read more about TSL's, and I thought, what the heck, I'll read the IROK description too. Well I am amazed, I might buy some IROKS when I get tires instead of TSL's. Yikes!

One question though, how are the TSL's in the snow? The IROK's say they are excellent in the mud, rocks, and snow. (EXCELLENT /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif) so I am just comparing. IROKS are lighter (less wear on axles) and cheaper (less money I have to pay /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif) so I don't know, half the year my town is covered to our knees in snow, so I need a tire that performs well in snow too.

SO! TSL's or IROKS, what will work better in the snow?
    Please don't rant on me about before not liking IROKS... it was stupid because I have had ZERO experience with them. I am just stubborn sometimes... it runs in the family /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I dunno bout them...but Im really thinkin my next set of tires are gonna be the Irok 39.5's...You should PM big pappa B he just got a set of 39.5 Iroks...seems to like em alot!

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

I've always heard good things about both tires. i havn't run iroks either, but a friend of mine has them on his heep and they work well. he used to run the tsls and any time i've ridden with him in the winter he was floating all over the road. but im sure it was just cus he had a lighter vehicle. it pretty much comes down to how much ur gonna be driving in the snow. I would think though, that for us guys running the heavy rigs we do, the results would be better than a heep. (more wieght per square inch) hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

maybe by the time I finish my k5 (driveable) they will come out with a 44 or 42" IROK though /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have ran the tsl's and i am now running the iroks and i will always buy the iroks from now on they ride smoother then the tsl's they are quieter then the tsl's and most importantly they outperform the tsl's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

the IROKS ride quieter you mean? Have you tried them in snow?

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I'm running TSL's 39.5, my next set will be 39.5 Iroks. I like the TSL's, I think I'll love the Iroks.

8. mudhog

yes i took a trip up just to play in the snow after i got them and the did awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif yes they ride both smoother and quieter than the tsl's did

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If IROKs were wider I'd definitely be wanting a set, I'm still undecided if I'm going to go TSLs or IROKs next time.

Both tires will suck ass in shallow snow like is found on the road. You need a/ts for that. In deep snow the agressive pattern will work very well, just as it does in mud.

Swampers are not designed for the road. My TSLs are downright scary in a heavy rain, and I wouldn't even leave the house in the snow in this rig.

If you want road, look to other tires besides Swampers.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How do they compare to the TSLs in the snow? Thanks for your answers shannon /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

this is my trail only rig im talking about. I had mud terrains on my Jimmy last winter... 11.5 inches wide, and they were skatey across the road... i couldn't imagine 15" wide /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    this is my trail only rig im talking about. I had mud terrains on my Jimmy last winter... 11.5 inches wide, and they were skatey across the road... i couldn't imagine 15" wide /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 12.50 wide mud terrains on my rig for years and I thought they worked great in snow.

My tires are 16" wide though now, with no siping, and huge tread blocks. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Have you ever tried siping Tim?

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Maybe snow's different down there from up here, but they were 32" tall on a stock Jimmy, with a slightly modidifed 350 (came from PO like that) and it would skate around corners, and when accelerating. They did better in deeper snow. a bit.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever tried siping Tim?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it wasn't a trailer queen I would.

16. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    How do they compare to the TSLs in the snow? Thanks for your answers shannon /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    the iroks come sipped so they grip well to the road be it 1/2in of snow or 12 feet of snow lol the iroks grip and grab better on packed snow because of the sipping like i said i will not buy the tsl's again for me if i get any other tire other then iroks they will be boggers

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hmm... this is convincing me I NEED IROKS now... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Anyone know the scoop on the next sizes they are making? They only have 36, 49, and 39.5" availible.

18. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

42's will be available real soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

my 39.5's look awsome holding the floor down /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

YAY then I will probably get them when I can. woohoo /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

are the radial version any good?