Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Police Academy rant of the month!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, got three more months of this Mickey Mouse BS to go. And I thought the Army had the market cornered. Just hope it's worth it in the end.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Was it worth it?

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Depends on how one looks at it.

If I didn't have to succumb to Oklahoma's Mickey Mouse crap about their certification process, it would have been worth a little bit more. But because Oklahoma has to be different than every other freaking state, I had to endure 9 weeks of their crap.

It probably helped getting me this job since my agency tends to hire experience/trained. Even though I had to go through the full process here in OK, I already had something to bring to the table.

It's a wash at this point really. I still have some of my CA stuff with me so every once in awhile, I can go back and refresh myself. Can't say that about what OK provided me.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Is Ok like Ca. in that once you have your POST certificate, you are good to go anywhere in the state?

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Sort of kind of not really:D

The way it works in OK, a person can be hired and working the street before they even see the inside of the academy. The larger agencies tend to keep their rookies in FTO status until they get certified. For agencies like us and smaller, there can be people working the street, by themselves before they go. That's the way it works. We usually kick people loose after weapons qualification, but then again since I've been here, we've only sent three through the academy including me and the guy that was hired with me had been through the academy in Colorado. There are a few agencies in the state that have their own academies like OKC.

Once someone graduates the academy, they are eligible to work for any other agency in the state that does not have their own academy. For years, the state basically said that anyone within a year of graduation who leaves the agency that paid for the academy can be held liable for the cost or the agency hiring them. In just the last year though, the state has apparently set that rule in stone and will enforce that rule.

What slays me about my situation is my academy certificate from CA says I received something like 890 hours of training. I was in contact with other states that said they would honor that certificate and just send me through the legal block for their state. Oklahoma couldn't be so easy though. Their rule is even if you are certified or attended an academy in another state, but didn't work one hour on the street, then you have to attend the entire nine weeks. Luckily, I get college credit so at this point, I think I'm eligible for an Intermediate Officer's Certification from the state. I don't get paid any extra for it so I haven't been on top of it, but that is just a guess from the last time I counted stuff up. Needless to say, I expressed my opinion on that topic at the end of course critique.:haha:

There might be some changes on that front coming. The new director of CLEET (our POST) is an actual cop. The last one wasn't. This new guy is also from San Antonio PD. From the sitdown my boss had with him when he came out last year was this new guy is going to lit a fire under the state's ass when it comes to training and professional standards and here in OK in some parts of the state, those are two areas that some agencies don't have a clue what they are. Basic academy has jumped to about 14 weeks. They have their own facility now. When I went through, we were at the same facility the state troopers get trained at. They are now teaching topics that should have been covered like FST, which of course I got in CA, but can't use it here until I go through an OK course. I think they are also certifying people with the Intox in the basic course also.

The only real drawback still is where I'm at. We don't get dick for good training out here because of the distance and ever since my big blowout with the asshole training guru over at the PD a few months ago, we're still not getting much of anything. With the new boss though, he's more open to sending us out of state. The person that took over for me in investigations has been gone for like 3 weeks already to places like Dallas. We're still working on a trip for two of us to either AZ or OR in the near future:D

6. Desert Rat

Wow, I'm guessing Ok. doesn't have the per capita ratio of lawyers Ca. has then. If an officer got into a shooting right after they got hired, and it happens all the time here, and they didn't have all their training, the lawyers would be lined up for blocks playing that "jizz in my pants" video just counting the money they would make on the civil liability payment.

Pretty much anywhere in Ca., no matter how big the agency, you have to attend the police academy (5-7 months) immediately after being hired, then pass an FTO in-field training (4-6 months) after the academy, and then you are still on probation for another 6 months or more and usually in a "Phase 3 recruit" status where your field sergeant writes bi-weekly evals. On top of that, Ca. POST has the usual annual mandatory training for CPR, Use of Force, Pursuit Driving, etc.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yup. The only high speed attorneys we seem to have specialize in DUI. Up until last year year, we were only required one hour every year of mental health on top of the 16 hours I believe we had to have annually. I never kept track because I'm one of those "training junkies." This year we've been bumped to 24 hours I believe and rumor has it in a few years 40 hours annually will be required. That will be nice. They've also mandated domestic violence, which is sad because I was happy living under the impression that "an arrest had to be made" theory. Bagged a judge that way. Sexual assault training has also been mandated which is good since very few folks go to it and those investigations can be a bitch.

The rest though, they really don't care about. I'm still waiting to get my instructor certification so I can get LEDT (EVOC, OK always has to be different:haha:) certified so I can go to the academy once a year and trash someone else's cars. Besides, I've noticed my maneuver skills have gone to the dogs. I guess it's because most of the time I run Code 3, it's pin the throttle and keep it like that for 10-15 minutes and try to find something cool to listen to on the radio.

8. rjpastor

rjpastor 1/2 ton status

My, my, how things have changed. When I was hired (in CA) in 1968, I worked the street the first night with a Training Officer and for another 3 months before I went to the Academy - for 8 weeks. Then I was on my own. It was a pretty low stress Academy too - not too much BS. Of course, I was never sued in 19 years either.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Ah, the day before cell phone cameras and the cop haters over on CNN:haha:

I went to COS in Visalia. It was set up to invent drama. When that show "The Academy" was on, I swore at times I was watching my class.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the only thing i can contribute to this Thread is the cameras.:rolleyes: my bro Mike can't visit as much as before because he has one in his expedition. oh, and a microphone.the city can see where he went anytime they want too.AND he can't say anything out of the PC realm. and just think Bubba, he went to the detroit police academy. who do you think was the minority?:laugh:let's just say, he has an opinion and didn't win many hearts and minds there.looky

mike and xanto 006.JPG

11. rjpastor

rjpastor 1/2 ton status

Yup. No cell phones. The crime scene cameras were Speed Graflex (used film casettes that held two actual pieces of B&W film. We had 3 walkie talkies (2 for Sgts., 1 for our one foot beat). They didn't know where I was unless I told them. (Good thing sometimes) I don't envy the guys who are doing it now.

12. Desert Rat

Some try putting a tuna can over the GPS hockey puck on the trunk, but big brother is alive and well these days in police work.

13. CAVANALK5

CAVANALK5 1/2 ton status

Eastern OK (Home of Cavanal, World's Highest Hill)
    I gotta buddy with OKC and several with OHP, then of course the locals and sherriff's dept. Police work is love/hate to say the least. And severely underpaid. But of course, cool as hell. I have often thought about going into it, just because I've always had an interest. I just don't know if my bum knees would hold up.

Just wanted to say, wherever you end up, thank your for your service and the very best of luck.:bow:

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

We've put in for a grant so we can get computers in the cars. From what I've been told if we get them, we'll be tracked by dispatch. I know there's going to be one or two guys that will bitch about it, but in my "likes to play Casper" mind, I'm all for it. If we ever run into having to go look for someone who's not answering or the problem of dispatch having to play musical deputies with calls, the benefits are definitely going to outweigh the bad about them. Our boss isn't uptight about things, so we won't have that problem.

15. rjpastor

rjpastor 1/2 ton status

IF (big if) you are where you're supposed to be, doing what you're supposed to do, it's not a problem. (Wow, that's easy to say when you don't have to worry about it -- I do what I want and collect my pension. LOL)

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

We're pretty laid back at my department. One of the benefits of being at a small agency. There's only twelve of us certified LEO's, that's including the sheriff, chief deputy and jail commander. Although we're "assigned" areas of responsibility, we're only expected to take care of business. We have a very low calls for service volume and we average about 400 reports a year and about 70% of those are for warrant arrests.:D

17. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I find it amazing how this thread took 7.5 years to get a reply, but now is going well.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It's like a fine wine.............

19. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

I haven't been on here much until recently...glad to see you're still posting. I finish up college in December and plan to be going to the police academy (most likely NCTCOG) next spring.:thinking:

20. Desert Rat

400? :eek1:
    That is about average per officer annually around these parts......